Gift Tax vs. Bequest

Hey everyone,

Curious about something regarding the relative value formula. Particularly the numerator, where we asses A-T value of the gift.

Why is the gift tax applied AFTER the A-T growth of the gift while it is held by the recipient? When i calculate which method should be preferred using pure intuition, as opposed to that formula, i think i will almost always reach the same conclusion, but i grow the gift at whatever that after-tax rate of growth for the recipient is AFTER reducing the amount of the gift by the gift tax: GIFT AMOUNT x (1 - Tax Rate on Gifts) x (1+(pre-tax return earned by recipient x (1 - recipient tax))^n. Why is this not the case in the relative value formula, as my thought is that the gift should be taxed upon receipt?

Using my formula above, i get to a very similar conclusion, which i think will work in most cases, unless the ending amount is VERY close between the two.

Thanks for the clarification!

With exam day right around the corner, Schweser's Final Review products are designed to help you finish out your study plan and walk into the testing center feeling prepared and confident.

Thanks for all the insights guys, it has been such a help.

If you’re going to pay a defined % tax, pay it after your money has compounded.  Don’t pay it up front.