Sign up  |  Log in

Anyone unable to complete in AM?

Last year, I found some fellows unable to finish AM as me. 

This year, seemingly all guys are doing well. 

If you weren't successful on your Level III exam, you'll want to be the first to know when Schweser study materials are available for 2020 exams. Sign up below, and we'll notify you as soon as they are available for sale.

i know many people who left about 20-30 points blank in am and manage to pass the exam, calm down and enjoy the summer

I left 21 points totally blank. And screwed up 2 questions of 4 or 5 points. 

Not counting on a pass. But we’ll know it on 20th Aug, no use dwelling on it now. 

i left 35ish points completely blank last year and finished around the 15th percentile in scoring. 

but this was also because I scored around a 36 or 37/60 on the MC, so fear not. 

My take on leaving points blank is simple: its all about 20 of fewer points. if you left 20 or fewer blank, i think youre in good shape. if you leave 30 points blank…honestly….i still think you can pass, but it would take a 90th percentile MC score (think upwards of 48/60). 

if you scour the AF threads from last year youll see some people who left 20 points blank and not only passed, but passed quite comfortably. dont sweat 20 or fewer points. 

Tommyjohn wrote:

i left 35ish points completely blank last year and finished around the 15th percentile in scoring. 

but this was also because I scored around a 36 or 37/60 on the MC, so fear not. 

My take on leaving points blank is simple: its all about 20 of fewer points. if you left 20 or fewer blank, i think youre in good shape. if you leave 30 points blank…honestly….i still think you can pass, but it would take a 90th percentile MC score (think upwards of 48/60). 

if you scour the AF threads from last year youll see some people who left 20 points blank and not only passed, but passed quite comfortably. dont sweat 20 or fewer points. 

Sometimes I can’t help but wonder how some people think or reason. What’s the difference between leaving 20 pts and 30 points. FYI, I know someone who left 45 points blank last year and still ended up with a 62% on AM. Is it not about how precise and accurate your answers are? If one leaves 40 points blank and has an accuracy of 80%, isn’t 122 points, which is 62.2%, a fantastic score on AM. Can some of us start talking like analysts and stop spreading fear and nonsensical ideas? The main  reason you failed last year was not the 35 points that you left blank but your lack of understanding. I left over 50 points blank last year and still scored around 50th percentile on the AM. 

bayan wrote:

i know many people who left about 20-30 points blank in am and manage to pass the exam, calm down and enjoy the summer

Been getting wasted, lifting weights, and playing poker. It’s been fun. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.

I left out a 4p question because I never learnt the formula. I’m also pretty sure I got one other 4p question wrong. So that’s 8points I’m sure I got a big fat 0 on. I’m generally good with timing so didn’t leave anything else out, but considering how math-heavy the AM was, it’s easy to miss points.

Hoping that was enough to pull a 120+ in the AM. Probably 60-70 in the PM (heavily skewed towards 60). 

I know of many people across years who couldn’t complete AM (left 10-35 points) and still passed. I too couldn’t complete AM in 2019 (Freshman)! So fret not, only time will tell how things work out!

Today’s accomplishments were yesterday’s impossibilities...

Took it last year and passed. I probably left about 10/15 points on the table as well with probably bull-crap answers. Passed relatively comfortable in AM with about 67%. 

So fret not comrades. 

Big Dreams Require Big Sacrifices - VWJETTY

Tactics wrote:

I left out a 4p question because I never learnt the formula. I’m also pretty sure I got one other 4p question wrong. So that’s 8points I’m sure I got a big fat 0 on. I’m generally good with timing so didn’t leave anything else out, but considering how math-heavy the AM was, it’s easy to miss points.

Hoping that was enough to pull a 120+ in the AM. Probably 60-70 in the PM (heavily skewed towards 60). 

Think I know which question you’re referring to and also had to completely punt that one. Frustrating because I remembered seeing it but there wasn’t a subsequent blue box/practice question in Schweser, so thought it was more for illustrative purposes (shame on me) and didn’t really focus on memorizing it. I guess a good lesson to (a) not assume anything is off limits and (b) check with CFAI materials if there’s ever a question on if something is testable or not.

It’s all about how generous they are with partial points. If they are not generous, then leaving points blank is probably better in order to focus and nail those other questions you can answer.

If they are generous, then it’s better to answer everything.

Moosey wrote:

I left 21 points totally blank. And screwed up 2 questions of 4 or 5 points. 

Not counting on a pass. But we’ll know it on 20th Aug, no use dwelling on it now. 

probably tuesday august 27th. just like last year 

Its related to Ramadan. They usually schedule the first Saturday after Ramadan. So this year it was on 15th instead of 23rd like last year so the results should come out a week earlier than last year. 27-7 =20th of August 

"Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. " -Margaret Mead

ALBAREGINA wrote:

Its related to Ramadan. They usually schedule the first Saturday after Ramadan. So this year it was on 15th instead of 23rd like last year so the results should come out a week earlier than last year. 27-7 =20th of August 

This is right - it’s always 10 Tuesdays from the exam = Aug 20

bayan wrote:

i know many people who left about 20-30 points blank in am and manage to pass the exam, calm down and enjoy the summer

Words of a wise man (or woman) yes

It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.