2020 Level 3

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get some thoughts… Do you think it worth going through Level 2 material in order to be kinda prepared that Level 3 will throw at us or it is nothing but wasting time? In other words, is Level 3 CFAI books are sufficient to prepare without referring to materials for Level 2 ?

Yes, everything you need to know for L3 is in the L3 curriculum, but it helps a ton if you went through the L2 curriculum. Many parts of L2 and L3 material build off of the previous level.

Thanks

No

CFAI Level 3 curriculum should be sufficient.

Level 3 has nothing to do with level 2

shouldnt they have done that when they passed l2?

Some people skip low weight topics such as derivatives, alt. investments, or economics on L2. If you do so, going through these topics in the L3 curriculum will be a pain in the a$$.

Good point!

But on what planet is skipping derivatives a good idea?

Don’t ask me, ask those who do that. I went through all the topics like a good little school boy.

Yeah I went through all topics at L2 but forgot 80% of it now. lol

I find it difficult to believe that someone would skip all of these low weighted topics and still pass!

I think you’re missing the point here. The question was that do you need to review L2 material to pass L3. I said that all you need for L3 is in the L3 material, but it is helpful if you went through the L2 curriculum. If you did not, it might be helpful to glance over those topics in L2 because some L3 stuff builds off of L2 stuff. Whether you skipped all low weight topics or just one doesn’t really matter.

All 3 levels feel so similar. Lots of repeating material. Just approaching from a different viewpoint.

aside from the behavioral finance topics.

FRA section was huge on LVL3. It really killed me on June 15th.

how many times did we see fed model, ddm, yardeni, expansionary monetary policy, duration, type 1/2 error, cannot claim partial gips…

the whole options section was a repeat.

Waste of time in my view. L3 material is all you need to pass and you can review anything you have forgot as it comes up. L3 obviously builds on previous levels but the focus is different. L2 content is deeper as well, L3 is more practical application and higher level.

Did that in L1 and L2. In those two levels i ensured that i studied at least a total of 70% of the subjects. for L3, i skipped GIPS and i totally regret it.

Never skip GIPS yall.