Permissible Use of CFA Designation After L3 Pass (Per CFAI)

All

For those who passed CFA L3 today, congratulations! I reached out to CFAI’s global contact center about a week ago and wanted to pass along the information they shared pertaining to the usage of the CFA designation. I figure there support center will be inundated today. Please note you must be a regular member for this to apply!

My question: I was approved for regular membership today (work experience approved and member of local and national CFA society). If I pass, what next steps, if any, do I have to take to officially use the CFA designation?

CFAI Answer: “I am happy to assist with your inquiry. Our records indicate your memberships with CFA Institute and CFA Society Iowa are active through 30 June 2020. You will receive your CFA Program Level III results on 20 August. If you pass the CFA Program, you will automatically be awarded the charter, and you will be able to use the designation right away. You’re welcome to follow up with us once you receive your results if you need to confirm your charter status. Additionally, you will receive an email asking you to confirm your mailing address for your physical certificate. I hope this is helpful. If I can be of further assistance, please reply to this email.” Regards, Karine | Global Contact Center | CFA Institute

Will there be an official email? My work needs the official email to add the letters

Sh*t! kid aren’t you just passed. Chill and drink a bottle of wine and start bothering your work tomorrow. Jezzz…

I would send CFAI an email asking. Their general inbox is info@cfainstitute.org and they typically respond in 1 business day (though today may be delayed).

Perhaps you could also show your employer a screenshot of yourself in the member directory. You should have CFA to the right of your name.

CFAI did say “Additionally, you will receive an email asking you to confirm your mailing address for your physical certificate.” presumably that would suffice but better to measure twice and cut once.

Finally the day hath arrived.

Welp, if that’s the case that’s the case.

i remember when y’all called me crazy for paying my dues and becoming a member… lol

CEO10K-DAY

I paid as well. Well, my employer paid…

The prudent course of action would have been to get the membership approved but wait for the pass notification to pay.

But, all is well that ends well and we expedited the charter (minimally).

Do you see CFA next to your name in the directory?

Just transferred those f_ckrs another 300 usd. Now we wait

I am in the directory already.

passed and paid member dues long ago. name not in directory still

I’m not either. I’m sure in due time it will happen. BUT, I’m taking the OP of this topic at face value and adding the letters NOW.

Anyone who has payed and can’t see name in the directory - got to your account preferences and adjust directory visibility. Worked pretty much instantaneously for me.

I’m a bit confused about Charterholder, work experience, society, and membership…

So I have cleared level III, but I still need more relevant work experience to obtain the Charterholder. So should I join in a society and pay membership now? Or should I wait until I have accumulated enough work experience and then apply for the membership with the local society and then apply for Charterholder?

Very appreciate your response, and congracts to everyone who passed Level II!!!

That worked! It shows I’m CFA on my letters!!!

thanks for the sharing. very useful!

My name now has letters as well. It’s pretty bada$$ if you ask me.

My friend didn’t have the full work experience when he passed L3. He joined a society a few weeks ahead of getting his 4 years so by the time his work was approved, they would also see that he was in a society and he could get his Charter that much quicker.

Thanks a lot!

I’m not seeing the letters yet, but I updated my preferences and I’m in the directory. . . . I swear I’ll have my friend named Karen walk right up to the institutes doors and complain to the manager if this isn’t resolved sooner than later.

Holy cow. Y’all so keen.

I forgot all about this CFA business on the 15th of June. Got a life to live and catch up with my golf game.

Update: I reached out to CFAI to confirm my charterholder status. They confirmed and shared some helpful info that I’ll pass along here:

Me: Please confirm that I may use the CFA designation effective immediately:

CFAI: "I am responding to your follow up inquiry below. Our records indicate we awarded the CFA charter to you on 20 August 2019. You may now begin using the designation after your name and referring to yourself as a CFA charterholder. In the near future, you will receive a letter which confirms your status as a CFA charterholder. Additionally, you will receive an email asking you to confirm your mailing address for your physical certificate. You can expect to receive the charter itself within six to eight weeks of confirming your address (emphasis added). For your convenience, I have attached your charter confirmation letter to this email. We encourage you to review the trademark and usage guidelines on our website at https://www.cfainstitute.org/about/governance/policies/trademark-usage-guide-for-cfa-charterholders. Congratulations on your achievement! If I can be of further assistance, please reply to this email. "