Thank you Marc LeFebvre - Level UpBootcamp

We passed because of Both - ourselves + Marc. Time and hard work is Not enough to pass level 3, you need to know How to use that time. I took both Marc’s LevelUp and Kaplan, and the consensus is Kaplan is not good for level 3, but Marc is. I passed with a big margin and largely attribute my success to him.

A clear and personalized study plan is here! Schweser's upgraded content and redesigned study platform are exactly what you need to pass the Level III exam. Save 10% when you preorder a Premium Package for a limited time.

I don’t completely agree with that 125mph.  I think his slidebook is very helpful for learning and remembering (not memorizing the material) above and beyond what’s in the curriculum.  For example, he has color pictures with sometimes funny, but relevant pictures that help you remember concepts.  I remember he had a picture of a boxer getting smacked in the face next to a knock-out option - I’ll probably never forget that. 

He certainly does tell you that there are no shortcuts. 

Codtrawler87 wrote:

This thread looks like one of those weird ads they used to have in newspapers where the margin was filled with quotes from happy customers such as ”Peter, 25, from Boston, Mass”

FWIW, Pho6’s criticisms are entirely legitimate. It’s expensive, he spends loads of time reminding you that you were “smart” to buy his package even though you’re already a customer, and the fact that he only works IPS questions with you in class is a bit surprising as well. There was plenty of time for him to walk through at least a question or two from each section but instead we spent most of the bootcamp rapidly flipping through the slidebook, which you had presumably already seen if you watched the videos.

But take a look at my post history - not too long ago I was a naive Level 1 Candidate fumbling through the material, and I passed Level 3 on the first attempt in part thanks to Marc. 125mph is right - you can pass without him if you work hard, but you can also fail without him. Does anyone really want to do this twice?

Just got the Kaplan materials, but thinking of dropping their 3-day review for the Marc’s review.  Any thoughts between the two courses?  Would doing both be overkill?

It seems like Marc has requested to start a shout out thread. Anyways congratulations to all who have passed by using any provider or no provider at all. I will share my experience about LevelUp videos. I bought the videos in 2017 and realized that:

(1) IPS workshop walkthrough (which is considered as LevelUp flagship item) was not part of videos and If you want that you have to attend a 4 day bootcamp so more cost. 

(2) Videos were unnecessary long (2.5 to 3 hours) so it was hard to concentrate

(3) Marc touches almost all the BBs and white text examples but most of the time he actually only touches them. He tells you what is in the BB but many time does not solve step by step and expects you to read. I wished Level 3 curriculum was so straight forward that I could understand with Marc style but unfortunately that was not the case for me.

(4) Marc provides a very colorful slidebook, but for Level 3 you have to make your own detailed notes so in the end that slidebook was of little value because in the presence of your own hand written detailed notes, who would have the time to review power point bullets to revise concepts closer to exam.

So having realized these early, I switched to another prep provide and passed on first attempt. 

What I believe, people who only takes 4 day bootcamp and pass, already have done required studies before attending bootcamps otherwise a 4 day bootcamp cannot produce magic closer to exam. But definitely Marc is an experienced teacher and must be teaching some good points in bootcamps, however saying that bootcamp is the sole reason to pass may be an exaggeration.     

mskhan91 wrote:

It seems like Marc has requested to start a shout out thread. Anyways congratulations to all who have passed by using any provider or no provider at all. I will share my experience about LevelUp videos. I bought the videos in 2017 and realized that:

Well, that much is obvious… The OP was a first time poster on AF lol..

125mph wrote:

mskhan91 wrote:

Well, that much is obvious… The OP was a first time poster on AF lol..

Marc usually asks for referrals and/or positive feedback. 

I used the  $280 Mark Meldrum video package and $2,000 (excluding travel cost)  Marc/LevelUp full package and really can not justify the 7x price for LevelUp… 

I’ve also heard really good things from very happy candidates who used Mark Meldrum. 

Maverick_ wrote:

I’ve also heard really good things from very happy candidates who used Mark Meldrum. 

Different Mark

If you're the first out the door, that's not called panicking

Yeah, I know.  I was just saying that I’ve also heard really good things from several friends about Mark Meldrum, kind of as an aside to my review of Marc LeFebvre.  Sorry for the confusion.  It was clear to me, but I can understand why it wouldn’t be clear to anyone else. 

jounin83 wrote:
for level 2 :  the best prep provider is Analyst Success (founded by Frank Stalla, later acquired by Wiley) & Richie Owen from Kaplan Schweser.

Richie Owen: there’s a name I haven’t heard in a while.

I met Richie years ago in Philadelphia; I was teaching Level I and he was teaching Level II.

Richie’s great!

jounin83 wrote:
For level 1 certainly Peter Olinto is the best.

Peter’s an awesome instructor.  Legendary.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

layi01 wrote:

If I would to do Levelup, how many hours per day/week do you think I would have to put in to cover all my basis before bootcamp? I am asking because if i would do Kaplan locally with them, they are a ‘in person’ course so they already have the hours per week planned up until the revision. 

Let me know your thoughts 

I thought the bootcamp was a waste of time.  It’s basically the same thing as the videos.  I took the bootcamp because of the way Marc bundles things together…and I couldn’t get the IPS workshop or the exam binder without it.  The exam binder was gold, and his slide book is very good, but the bootcamp is like drinking from a firehose, and I got very little out of it.

125mph wrote:

You guys are all silly. Sounds like Marc does a superb job making sure his students know theres no shortcuts and to study hard. He further hands out a binder of old exams to make sure you do them. Other instructors fail to slam it to your brains that the exam aint no joke.

Every post about him makes has a very similar element, work hard. Save the money, i can tell u to work hard.

sounds like those who passed are because they worked hard. You passed because of YOU

At the end of the day, you can pass with anyone of these instructors, but you have to stick with it, study hard, and really work their system.  So in that sense I agree with you.  Marc helps in a few ways, in his videos he teaches and that was useful to me in some areas like derivatives and currency which were hard for me.  I scored over 90% in that section and I can assure you it was because of how Marc explains it, I couldn’t have gotten there on my own.  His exam binder that is edited for no longer relevant material is great.  Lastly, studying from the CFAI books was intimidating, but with the videos it somehow seemed more manageable.   

Overall it is probably over-priced, but then how much is your time worth?  I really didn’t want to take this exam twice, so I took what I thought was the best study provider for L3, and then really worked hard.

I took LevelUp Bootcamp and did everything right and did the videos and still failed. I just want my money back. Waste of time!

Malee wrote:

His exam binder that is edited for no longer relevant material is great.  

Overall it is probably over-priced, but then how much is your time worth?  I really didn’t want to take this exam twice, so I took what I thought was the best study provider for L3, and then really worked hard.

i am using adobe pdf premium to rearrange old CFAI PDF 2006-2018 for 6-7 days based on IFT (I know some of material he said not relevant actually still relevant), so i guess it save me $1500 instead of attending boot camp motivation seminar ?

its funny on previous thread i remember you talking ‘uneven playing field’ because of prep providers now you seem contradictory with your comment before.

"Let's kill him properly this time" (Thor - Endgame)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5I6235vlok

FRM Holder - 2012
Passed CFA Level III - 2019

Thanks - so happy that I can be part of this process for you. www.levelupbootcamps.com

Let’s make it “One & Done in 2019”

www.levelupbootcamps.com

Passed!! Officially a CFA Charterholder! Thank you, Marc A. LeFebvre, CFA @ LevelUp

mskhan91 wrote:

(1) IPS workshop walkthrough (which is considered as LevelUp flagship item) was not part of videos and If you want that you have to attend a 4 day bootcamp so more cost. 

(2) Videos were unnecessary long (2.5 to 3 hours) so it was hard to concentrate

(3) Marc touches almost all the BBs and white text examples but most of the time he actually only touches them. He tells you what is in the BB but many time does not solve step by step and expects you to read. I wished Level 3 curriculum was so straight forward that I could understand with Marc style but unfortunately that was not the case for me.

(4) Marc provides a very colorful slidebook, but for Level 3 you have to make your own detailed notes so in the end that slidebook was of little value because in the presence of your own hand written detailed notes, who would have the time to review power point bullets to revise concepts closer to exam.

So having realized these early, I switched to another prep provide and passed on first attempt. 

What I believe, people who only takes 4 day bootcamp and pass, already have done required studies before attending bootcamps otherwise a 4 day bootcamp cannot produce magic closer to exam. But definitely Marc is an experienced teacher and must be teaching some good points in bootcamps, however saying that bootcamp is the sole reason to pass may be an exaggeration.      

Marc does go into great detail regarding the blueboxes & the slidebook, along with the videos, helps you understand and breeze through the curriculum much faster than if you were to read the CFA curriculum books on your own.

Yes, the bootcamp is not a magic wand that can turn someone who’s not prepped into a Charterholder. But it does reinforce the concepts learned from Marc’s videos and is a great addition in terms of the Essay workshop, IPS workshop & The binder.

Thank you for posting. Passing Level III is no easy task!

www.levelupbootcamps.com

Hey - you did all the work and that’s how you passed. I was just there to guide. 

www.levelupbootcamps.com

Wow–you are the Rock Stars. I am happy to be the humble guide.

www.levelupbootcamps.com

I agree–that’s why I recommend that anyone coming from Level II and hoping to pass Level III, should start planning their studies in September. Study using all the tools you can use - videos, and actual CFA materials highly recommended. Happy to discuss with anyone who is starting to study now for June.

www.levelupbootcamps.com

<a href="http://www.proforums.com/banners/www/delivery/ck.php?bannerid=1152&amp;dest=http://www.levelupbootcamps.com" title="Learn more about LevelUp Bootcamps" class="word-link" target="_blank">LevelUp</a> BootCamps wrote:

Wow–you are the Rock Stars. I am happy to be the humble guide.

you should update your sig to match your sponsor ads: “One and Done in 2020.”

2019 is over!

No, Marc did not ask us to start a shout out. I know because I took his bootcamp and I passed. And when I suggested to him “I will post something about bootcamp soon”, he answered “you should celebrate, and enjoy your summer”.

And no, he is not the perfect human. But he is really good for level 3, he adds value. And I highly recommend him to those taking level 3 seriously.

For those preparing for the exam, do it properly: start early, use CFAI materials, finish readings and some practice before attending his bootcamp, and you will win this game.

LevelUpBootCamps wrote:

happy to be the humble guide.

From the posts, I don’t think Humble is the correct word, LOL.

125mph wrote:

LevelUpBootCamps wrote:

happy to be the humble guide.

From the posts, I don’t think Humble is the correct word, LOL.

Could you imagine how much more civil this forum would be if we were forced to use our real names?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.

jounin83 wrote:

Malee wrote:

His exam binder that is edited for no longer relevant material is great.  

i am using adobe pdf premium to rearrange old CFAI PDF 2006-2018 for 6-7 days based on IFT (I know some of material he said not relevant actually still relevant), so i guess it save me $1500 instead of attending boot camp motivation seminar ?

its funny on previous thread i remember you talking ‘uneven playing field’ because of prep providers now you seem contradictory with your comment before.

Not really, before I know I pass I have the LU logo up.  My post was directed at people who were describing how they signed up for multiple courses, videos, notes, bootcamps, exam grading, etc.  It is allowed by CFAI so it isn’t wrong, but is it creating an unfair advantage for some exam takers?