CFA work experience

Hi peeps,

i have cleared last level of cfa exam and planning to apply for membership. do you think below experience can raise any issue?

1. Liaising with external auditors, Financial Advisors, Counsel and Internal Control Assessment Advisors for due diligence with the objective to go for IPO.
  2. Assisting in preparation of prospectus for IPO process including pro-forma financial statements for prior periods and communicate with financial advisors, counsel and internal control assessment advisor for due diligence for IPO.
  3. Assisting in complex corporate restructuring to have all companies under one roof and make the structure more transparent for SEC and Investors.
  4. Assisting in forming tax efficient corporate shareholding structure for real estate projects of group for exit in consultation with tax advisors.
  5. Analyze and work on different method of valuation for pricing the IPO securities of the company and figure out the appropriate method based on company’s business.
  6. Assisting in resolving all the issues related to the IPO process and expedites the process of raising public money through IPO.
  7. Reviewing SPA and fund flow statement on exit of the project investment.
  8. Review monthly performance, understand the drivers for variance and highlight to the management.
  9. Drive the entire annual consolidated forecast and budgeting process ensuring forecasts are accurate, comprehensive and complete on timely basis.
  10. Provide monthly financial analysis for operational efficiency and profitability improvement.
  11. Preparation of management discussion and analysis report (Management Commentary) for detailed analysis of the performance on quarterly and annually.
  12. Analyzing the effect on consolidated FS for transaction done at the subsidiaries or joint venture level and timely communicate to the management for any concern.
  13. Conducting the detailed research on the complicated accounting issues like business combination or change in accounting policies and analyzing the impact of the new transaction.
  14. Manage investor relations function of the Company’s website
  15. Work closely with IR team in providing complete information on the performance of the all project.
  16. Work closely with offshore and legal department to ensure all SEC/SET requirements are met.
  17. Assist in preparation of Quarterly and annually Preparation of full set of consolidated financial statements for a large number of subsidiaries and Joint venture for complex and multi-layer structure.

why don’t you try and let us know, you can always revise can you?

I am not sure… I want to be sure

I didn’t go into so much detail. Provided much more of a high-level description.

yeah. i’ll write down only first 7 points.

I would go into more detail on item 5 and list out the valuation methods. Give them CFA words.you are limited on the number of characters so there is a lot you can take off of the current list so you can get more focused and detailed on fewer key points

Yeah. I agree with you. I am going to write few points with key words like ipo, fund raising, valuations, due diligence

If your description is not adequate will they ask questions, or ask you to elaborate further, or it just does not get approved?

I really didn’t go into much detail, not sure about “CFA words”.

The qualifying part of my job as corporate banker is rather the analysis (financial and qualitative), and the participation in the credit committees, which I did not describe in much detail thinking it kind of goes without saying.

Moosey - they will ask you to elaborate further. What did you write in your membership application? Did you get approved already?

When talking about the M&A Modeling I included the use of DCF and multiples approaches to value acquisitions comparing the project IRR to internal hurdle rates. Sensitivity/Scenario analysis in modeling projections. Made sure to talk about what is covered in the curriculum. Was approved within an hour of submission from the Institute

Trueblue01- wow, really ? Within an hour…congratulations that’s awesome…I will write about multiple methods for ipo valuation… how many points did you write? Do u mind sharing ur work exp para… I am bit skeptical about this… so wants to make sure before applying.

I think the character limit is like 2500. You’ll be able to squeeze in maybe two points.

Nope. My references just got their instructions yesterday. So in the meantime I’ll add a few more details to my job description then.

On a second note: My qualifying experience is long (17 years) because I’m old. But my references are from one of my jobs (of 5 years). Shall I delete every other job, or can I just leave everything there?

write full 17 year experience in short. so if they have doubts about your 1 or 2 experience, you will still be good for charter…

Did that. Only don’t have referees for my first 2 jobs. Didn’t really want to bother people who are already pensioners plus don’t really speak English. (Plus they have no idea what CFA designation is). So references will come from a more current employment only.

Initially read that as “prisoners” and was about to say you might not want to mention that in your work experience!

how long will it take to review work experience for institute?

Took mine about 4 full working days for full approval

from both the society and main institute?

Some societies (like mine) have it set to automatically approve if the CFAI approves. Some meet monthly to evaluate applicants. All depends!