MM course cons

TrackSuitInvestor wrote:

LadyMacbethStrategy wrote:

Ok, I know you are all probably so sick of the prep providers talk….. But I just need to make a choice soon and I am worried once I pay up, I will regret it..

To those of you who used MM for level 3, can you please be kind enough to advise on the CONS? This is what I am interested in, the negative side. Something in his course that you did not like and felt that impacted/would impact your performance.

Thanks 

CONS:

1. The pdf docs were filled with errors (I think he outsourced it…the errors were to blatant that no one who has basic working knowledge of finance would make them). 

2. The videos are long (yet informative) and it takes time to go through them. Pro tip: watch them on 1,5x speed to save time. 

3. He is too cocky for his pedigree (but who cares if he helps you to achieve the Charter)

PROS: (even though you didn’t ask for them)

1. He really knows his sh!t. And that’s all that matters. And he knows how to explain it. 

Agree with everything you’ve said based on my L2 experience with him. Thank you for taking the time to share the details! 

You’ve made it this far, and you know what it takes to pass. Don’t be fooled by false promises and unrealistic claims. Schweser’s CFA® study packages give you the proven study tools and expert instruction you need to finish the job.

Yep, there is no forum anymore.

So subscribers can only comment below the video or ask on Reddit.

Tivo86 wrote:

Or … shudder! … here.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

The only weak spot of the 2019 MM material was GIPS (as was the pension accounting in his 2018 LVL2 material). That said, I passed both exams on the first try as his stuff are otherwise excellent. Cost is low too, think around 350 canadian bucks or something like that

Tivo86 wrote:

Can you believe it that I had no idea there were forums until May when people were posting mock exam questionslaugh and i would not have found out if it were not for the posted questions! I guess that’s why I am not bummed out about the forums and the questions, I don’t ask that many anyway.

memalos wrote:

The only weak spot of the 2019 MM material was GIPS (as was the pension accounting in his 2018 LVL2 material). That said, I passed both exams on the first try as his stuff are otherwise excellent. Cost is low too, think around 350 canadian bucks or something like that

Agreed! It is why I ended up making the decision and regitered with him. Now I can start my official studies. 

Finally you decided for MM? I’m collecting info…will decide during this week.

ste79 wrote:

Finally you decided for MM? I’m collecting info…will decide during this week.

Yes officially registered, let’s see how it goes. At the end of the day, it all boils down to your hard work.

For what it’s worth - I say go with MM if you don’t have too much time. I didn’t read any of the CFAI text at all, nor the famous blue box questions, nor the qbanks.

MM videos were so helpful in gaining the full picture and the walkthrough of EOC and review videos were even more valuable.

I went through all of his videos and made my own notes. Did 1 MM mock and then focused on past Am exams. Wrote past 5yr AM exams twice, did EOC twice.  Passed with >90% percentile. 

Dr. Meldrum can’t satisfy everyone in terms of notes and answering questions but he certainly knows how to teach the important stuff. Plus I found his voice to be the most clear and soothing among all providers (Wiley’s voice always put me to sleep)

Where there is a will there is a way