Again about prep providers...looking for info!

Hi guys! I’m new in the forum and I’m looking for some information about prep providers for L3. In the past I have used Schweser and I have passed the L1 and L2 at the first attempt, but not the L3.

I like the Schweser, but my feeling for L3 was that there was something missing…and actually it was….that’s why I’m looking for something else.

For sure I have not prepared the L3 with the same efforts of L1 and L2 for lack of time, but after reading across the forum I understand that my concern is shared with other users…at least for the AM section.

Below a resume on what I have understood from the forum:

1. MM - Pro: good videos, cheap, customer usually satisfied; Cons: S2K not still working with him; not clear who will provide the mocks and their quality
  2. LevelUp - Pro: S2K working with him this year; good videos (but long), customer usually satisfied; Cons: expensive; not have the possibility to attend the bootcamp (different opinions from customers in any case)
  3. Schweser: Pro: 50% discount; good Qbank (at least for me and actually my PM session was above 70%); Cons: AM section not satisfying (for me)
  4. IFT: I have read different opinion about customer satisfaction…I don’t have an opinion but I understand that, as a pro, IFT provides the last 3 AM exams review.

Initially I will work on the CFAI books (last year I have only studied on S-K + old exams) and make my own notes and, later, I will have a look to such providers in order to understand if make sense to consider something to add.

My concerns are:

1. Do I need a Qbank in addition to the one provided by CFAI? If yes, who sell separately?

2. How to access AM mocks from third parties (MM does not sell separately anymore)?

3. Who provides (separately) old AM exams review?

4. How the changes in the curriculum will impact in the AM section? Which third party would be more prepared?

5. What about acelevel3 for learning about how to answer in bullet point?

Thank you so much!

Stefano

Ouch!

OMG…sorry! Properly amendend!

1. Do all the bb and eocs. In addition to the online cfai qbank it’s more than enough. If you have the time you should probably do some of these questions twice.

MM includes a qbank with his videos. IFT also provides a qbank. But in my opinion stick with what Cfai provides.

1. Most providers (ift, wiley, schweser) do sell their mocks separately. If S2K provides mocks this year you should definitely go for those (I solved a mock of his last year and it was very good). If MM does provide mocks separately (maybe he would offer them separately later…?) am sure they would be very good too.

2. I used IFTs past essay solution video package (he solved from 2014 onwards). It was very helpful. MM also does solve past few years papers (but its included in his video series). Both are very good. I hadnt used acelevel3, but from the looks of it his approach is similar to IFT/MM and does look good.

3. The format (no. of questions, the template etc) of the paper, I guess should be the same. Obviously the content has changed quite a bit - which reduces the relevance of last years papers. But do solve the questions that are relevant. Ift releases a relevance document - so check that out.

The idea of solving the past papers is to get used to the format (eg answer in bullet points, time management etc). Its no substitute for learning the content.

Which prep provider would be the most prepared? No clue! They are all professional guys and am sure would do a good job. (I used MM / ift last year and found them to be very good)

1. answered in point 3

And add S2K as a major pro for whichever provider he works with!

Thanks.

Remember, proper punctuation saves lives; imagine this sentence without the commas:

I love cooking, my family, and my dog.

Many thanks for your time and experience!

My main concern is that CFAI books may not be so user friendly and, at the same time, I’m not sure to have the capacity to learn through video. In any case I have just ordered the CFAI books printed version and I will start with them and the CFAI Qbank…let’s see if it works and then I’ll decide if add something else in terms of video etc

After your comment, I’ll probably buy the IFTs past essay solution video package: I didn’t know they were sold separately. In a second stage I’ll probably look for additional mocks.

Thanks again

Ste

indeed!

I did not read the curriculum and learnt only from the videos. But I made sure I solved the bb, eoc questions and past AM papers. I’d suggest watch the video from any good provider, understand the material and focus on solving questions. If you are not doing well on certain topics or are finding difficult then read the curriculum for those parts.

Hi, which videos did you learn from?

Mostly from MM, some chapters IFT