Knowing the answer VS Writing out the answer

Fellow LIII takers, for those qualitative questions at the end of each SS, how did you answer them? I mean did you read the question then read out the answer in your mind, or you actually wrote out the answer (hopefully it matches up 85% to the given answer). I guess what I am trying to ask is how to translate from what I know to what to write down (in words) as answer in a CFAI accepted sentense. For LIII-passers, any suggestions from your past experience? Thanks

Don’t be lazy… write out the answer… alot of the points in LIII will be scored on using the correct technique, keywords, etc. This is even more relevant for the IPS questions where you need to know all the Objectives, Constraints, etc. and be able to reel them off in the exam.

I have tried to write down the answer. However, it just seems to miss something compare to the given answer.

keep writing and slowly your answers will minim the CFA answers

strikershank Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > keep writing and slowly your answers will minim > the CFA answers I will try…keep using the key words in each SS.

Read the teeth-gnashing on this Forum after scores came out in August. We never could figure out what cfai wanted for essay answers; and everyone bombed the AM (essay) session. If you find the magic sauce please post for your fellow L3-ers.

DarienHacker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Read the teeth-gnashing on this Forum after scores > came out in August. We never could figure out > what cfai wanted for essay answers; and everyone > bombed the AM (essay) session. > > If you find the magic sauce please post for your > fellow L3-ers. I am looking for the magic sauce myself. At this point, I simply can’t find the words to write down.

DarienHacker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Read the teeth-gnashing on this Forum after scores > came out in August. We never could figure out > what cfai wanted for essay answers; and everyone > bombed the AM (essay) session. > > If you find the magic sauce please post for your > fellow L3-ers. I am also looking for the magic sauce…as of right now…I just can’t find good words to write an an answer.

the way AM is tested and graded is a joke anyway… but trying to memorize the key words could help… at the end of the day u r at the whims of the grader…so good luck in getting a sensible soul to look at your exam!!!

Can someone please provide an example of a question and an answer with these KEY WORDS? I feel like I’m at level 1 again trying to figure out what to expect on the exam.

Referring to Schweser Book 4, Page260, question #7. I know how to say the answer; however, when I actually write it down, it doesn’t look like anything compare to the answer given in the Schweser Book (page 262). Those words in italic are the “buzz” word to use. Hope this helps!

UAECFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Can someone please provide an example of a > question and an answer with these KEY WORDS? > > I feel like I’m at level 1 again trying to figure > out what to expect on the exam. Say you’re discussing investor biases. Instead of a long-winded explanation about how Joe is highly educated and has lots of experience investing and is usually up in the market, sometimes down, and even though he’s had a rough patch with XYZ stock his custom-developed valuation methodology yields to $98.78 valuation and so on and so forth… Just say “OVERCONFIDENCE BIAS” and you’re done.

Ok, clearer now, thanks guys. Just one more thing, “ws” says that Schweser provides the keywords are in italics. Is this the case? and is this with Stalla too.

Some time in November (?) cfai will release example answers to the '07 L3 essay questions. I would spend a lot of time studying those.

UAECFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ok, clearer now, thanks guys. Just one more > thing, “ws” says that Schweser provides the > keywords are in italics. Is this the case? and is > this with Stalla too. Don’t know that…never used Stalla. I would referred more to the CFAI material, trying to get a better grip on how to efficiently answer these types of questions.

Hi UAE CFA, Schweser does stress on the key words. I have not used Stalla and hence I am not sure. Preparation for Level 111 is definitely more confusing. By the by are you working in the UAE. I was trying to find a placement there. I am currently living in Toronto. Can you give me some tips. My email address is rgeorgehere@gmail.com. I would highly appreciate some valuable tips from you.

The more questions I answer, I become more certainl that there is no way I can find out what the grader is looking for in an answer.

Writing out the answer during studying has a few benefits: - You get to realize how easy it is to fluff up a sentence when you really just need to hit key words/phrases (remember, you don’t lose marks for using bullet points rather than a Dickensian-style novella to answer a question) - You get to work on your time management; the difference between thinking “well, I’d write down these 3 points and it would take me 4 minutes” vs. actually writing it down can be substantial - You get to work on penmanship; it doesn’t seem like much, but I’ve written other exams where, during the actual exam, I forced myself to write slowly to keep it somewhat readable - that was unbudgeted for…doing this in practice gets your handwriting in better shape without taking up extra time - You kill more trees which is good; some f*cking snakes live in trees.

L3 Buckaroo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Writing out the answer during studying has a few > benefits: > > - You get to realize how easy it is to fluff up a > sentence when you really just need to hit key > words/phrases (remember, you don’t lose marks for > using bullet points rather than a Dickensian-style > novella to answer a question) > - You get to work on your time management; the > difference between thinking “well, I’d write down > these 3 points and it would take me 4 minutes” vs. > actually writing it down can be substantial > - You get to work on penmanship; it doesn’t seem > like much, but I’ve written other exams where, > during the actual exam, I forced myself to write > slowly to keep it somewhat readable - that was > unbudgeted for…doing this in practice gets your > handwriting in better shape without taking up > extra time > - You kill more trees which is good; some f*cking > snakes live in trees. What? Had a bad experience with snakes in the tree?

I would suggest you write out the answers. I know it helped me with time management. On test day you are going to have to come up with an answer AND write it out in the allotted time. To me, not practicing this beforehand would be a big mistake.