NYSSA Committees

Anybody active in NYSSA on here? I was looking into joining somme committees, do you think it’s a waste of time?

Alright, since no one has responded to the poor guy, I guess I’ll take a stab at it. I’m personally part of two committees in NYSSA: the Student Committee and the Private Wealth Management Committee. Of the two, I am much more involved with the former. The PWM committee holds meetings every few months, a few networking events, and a Christmas party. Any NYSSA member can join (which essentially means you get added to a mailing list…), but you can get more involved if you’d like (which could entail running an event, bringing someone in to speak at a seminar, etc.) Although I am part of the student committee, I am much more involved in the SEMI Program that NYSSA runs every year. If you have the time and are committed enough, you can volunteer as a mentor over the summer. In this sense, my time isn’t really wasted because I’m helping an aspiring student get a feel for what it’s like to work in finance. What it boils down to is this: If you want to join the committees just for the sake of joining and do not plan on contributing, then it is really a waste of your time. Or you can be more proactive and help guide the next generation of students with your expertise/experience. I hope this answers your question…

Cool, thanks…I joined SRI and we’ll see how that goes. I think I may join international too…