NYSSA Committees

Anybody active in NYSSA on here? I was looking into joining somme committees, do you think it’s a waste of time?

If you weren't successful on your Level III exam, you'll want to be the first to know when Schweser study materials are available for 2020 exams. Sign up below, and we'll notify you as soon as they are available for sale.

Alright, since no one has responded to the poor guy, I guess I’ll take a stab at it.

I’m personally part of two committees in NYSSA: the Student Committee and the Private Wealth Management Committee. Of the two, I am much more involved with the former. The PWM committee holds meetings every few months, a few networking events, and a Christmas party. Any NYSSA member can join (which essentially means you get added to a mailing list…), but you can get more involved if you’d like (which could entail running an event, bringing someone in to speak at a seminar, etc.)

Although I am part of the student committee, I am much more involved in the SEMI Program that NYSSA runs every year. If you have the time and are committed enough, you can volunteer as a mentor over the summer. In this sense, my time isn’t really wasted because I’m helping an aspiring student get a feel for what it’s like to work in finance.

What it boils down to is this: If you want to join the committees just for the sake of joining and do not plan on contributing, then it is really a waste of your time. Or you can be more proactive and help guide the next generation of students with your expertise/experience.

I hope this answers your question…

Cool, thanks…I joined SRI and we’ll see how that goes. I think I may join international too…