40-60-80 Rule

(1) Is this rule official? Could someone give me the link on CFA website on this rule? Thanks.

(2) Should the rule be interpreted as below:

if you are <=50%, then take 40% of the Max Pts in that category
(Does this mean that the rule favors those 1-39% and hurts those 41-50%?)
if you are 51%-70%, then take 60% of the Max Pts in that category
(Does this mean that the rule favors those 51-59% and hurts those 61-70%?)
if you are >70%, then take 80% of the Max Pts in that category
(Does this mean that the rule favors those 71-79% and hurts those 81-100%?)

Divide by the Total number of Pts, which is 240 (120 in the morning and 120 in the afternoon)

This will give you a score for the morning and the afternoon

Average that number to get your total score.

morning: 63%
afternoon: 56%
Total: 59.5%
PASS!

If you weren't successful on your Level III exam, you'll want to be the first to know when Schweser study materials are available for 2020 exams. Sign up below, and we'll notify you as soon as they are available for sale.

Yes, this rule is official. I cannot find the link right at this moment, but if you fail and the rule said you should have passed, immediately pay the $100 for a re-tab because clearly something is wrong on CFA’s end.

This is not a CFA technique, it’s an estimation technique designed to give you the average score give or take 10% (on average). The logic is that someone may score based upon the estimate mean per category +/- one STDev of 10%. This is reasonable, considering I heard a stat that few people score over 83% (high range) and I doubt people would pooch screw the lower area scoring much lower than 40% usually (they probably would get 1/3 on average and with a bit of knowledge 40% is reasonable with an incomplete understanding of a topic).

Of course your score could be 10% higher or lower than that average depending on your true scores. I would say if someone scored many lower categories (below 50%) there is a larger potential STDev of that score.