Required work experience

Does experience such as supporting the investment decision making process (e.g. if you build tools or systems) count as experience? What if you’re in a role that decides how some portion of the money of a company is spent (e.g. sourcing and evaluating vendors)? I know the work requirements description says that you have to apply financial, economical or statistical data to the investment making process, but then it lists sample job titles like customer service rep. Any clarifications? Thanks, I’m in the process of job searching, so having this cleared up would help.

for the 1st one, if you mean a software engineering type roll…probably not. for the second, if you mean some sort of procurement role, i’ve never heard of anyone getting that type of experience approved.

Talk to the CFAI or your local CFA chapter.

I work for a Software Company that designs portfolio management software (i.e. accounting software for hedge funds). Companies use our software to value thier funds and track their performace. My role is multifacited, Client Traing, Support and Software Design. In order to do this I need to understand how clients value thier funds, as alot of what I do is teach clients how to do this. So alot of it is finace based and I am sure that the work I do goes directly into affecting investment decisions, although maybe not that directly… CFAI counted my experience towards the charter.

Thanks for your response Blamey. If that’s the case, the types of jobs I could look for that could count towards the charter opens up quite a bit. Blamey Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I work for a Software Company that designs > portfolio management software (i.e. accounting > software for hedge funds). Companies use our > software to value thier funds and track their > performace. My role is multifacited, Client > Traing, Support and Software Design. > > In order to do this I need to understand how > clients value thier funds, as alot of what I do is > teach clients how to do this. So alot of it is > finace based and I am sure that the work I do goes > directly into affecting investment decisions, > although maybe not that directly… > > CFAI counted my experience towards the charter.

Will Product Control in the trading room of an investment bank count? * Preparation of daily trading Profit & Loss * Profit & Loss analysis and market commentary * Price testing and review any trading provisions * Reconciliation between Front Office and Back Office systems * Reviewing booking, valuation and revenue recognition for complex and structured trades

Seems when we register for level III exam, the AIMR website only ask to fill out role title and didn’t ask for how many years of experience on the role?