essay grading question

General question about essay grading on L3: a. In essay question with multiple parts, does it happen that answer to part 2 depend on part 1? i.e. you calculate something in part 1 and need to plug that in to solve part 2? b. What happens if you get part 1 wrong? Does that automatically make part 2 wrong? Do graders look at the rest of calculation (i.e. assume everything else is right except for the “plug in” number)? Just curious…

tanyusha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > General question about essay grading on L3: > a. In essay question with multiple parts, does it > happen that answer to part 2 depend on part 1? > i.e. you calculate something in part 1 and need to > plug that in to solve part 2? > Only rarely but possible, > > b. What happens if you get part 1 wrong? You miss the points on part 1. Bummer. > Does > that automatically make part 2 wrong? Maybe, but if your calculations for part 2 are consistent and would be correct if your answer for part 1 was correct you will get full credit. >Do graders > look at the rest of calculation (i.e. assume > everything else is right except for the “plug in” > number)? Yes. > > Just curious…

Thanks, JoeyDVivre. That makes me feel better :slight_smile:

The Stalla videos said that on types of questions where you state a conclusion and then get additional points for the justifications, you won’t be points for the justifications if they are justifying the wrong conclusion. It makes sense, but that’s where an earlier answer will screw you later. But it looks like there are several parts to essay vignettes, and the separate sections are usually pretty independent.

^ That’s true. That’s the “consistent” part of my answer.