LOSs where Schweser seems inadequate

Hi Guys, Its a pain to actually check through both Schweser and CFAI notes for the level of depth in each LOS. I feel, there are quite a few topics where schweser is just inadequate while others, where CFAI seems too verbose. We can list down topics that need to be read from CFAI, assuming that Schweser is the default option. People who are already through Schweser’s can please contribute their opinions. To start with, I believe ‘Alternative Investments’ is a definite CFAI material precisely due to its weightage in the exam and corresponding depth in CFAI notes. Thanks

It is the FEAR factor. I believe Schweser is adequate enough. Coming from LII, lot of us got burned by Treynor-Black section. So, I am buying insurance by double reading.

WS, Even I am willing to buy the insurance, but I am not sure if I can afford to pay the ‘premium’ (i.e. time) :slight_smile:

cfa dude Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > WS, > > Even I am willing to buy the insurance, but I am > not sure if I can afford to pay the ‘premium’ > (i.e. time) :slight_smile: Yeah…it is pretty expensive premium.

cfa dude, I like your idea. Let’s make a list of which sessions ( very broadly ) are inadequate in schwesers as far as explanations go. I believe session 6 comes in this category. I like CFAI reading on economics far better than s’s. Though S’s to the point but you need to understand the reasoning.

ppl got really scared with the portfolio mgt in level2 … but schweser was sufficient for the rest of 90-95% of the paper… so, i’m sticking to schweser… i read in some other post, someone had recommended the foll, to read from CFAI : alternate investments Swaps in derivatives this should actually be a sticky, where everyone can contribute what to study from where … would be v. helpful … most of us have the problem of too much reading material from too many sources with too little time.

I think SS14 (Exc. of Po Decisions) can be done from Schweser’s since its fairly straight fwd … Are there any opinions on LOS 13 (Risk mgmt Apps of Derivatives)? Anybody who’s done it from CFAI?

SWAPS … the chapter is huge and very difficult in CFAI … shweser is too preposterous

cfa dude Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think SS14 (Exc. of Po Decisions) can be done > from Schweser’s since its fairly straight fwd … > > Are there any opinions on LOS 13 (Risk mgmt Apps > of Derivatives)? Anybody who’s done it from CFAI? For Swaps in CFAI text be sure to compare the LOS with text. There is a quite a bit not required - like double currency bonds and more than the basic stuff on swaptions. But I agree Schweser leaves you feeling nervous. BTW, I found CFAI text coverage very nice on this topic and was able to zip through the material at quite a rapid pace. If you look at t it, there are two or three concepts applied again and again.

> > > For Swaps in CFAI text be sure to compare the LOS > with text. There is a quite a bit not required - > like double currency bonds and more than the basic > stuff on swaptions. But I agree Schweser leaves > you feeling nervous. How about the synthetically removing a call feature with swaptions? Is that part of the LOS in Reading 40, part h?

yeah syntheticall removing/adding call feature is not in schweser Global performance attribution is also pretty weak in schweser

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yeah syntheticall removing/adding call feature is > not in schweser > > Global performance attribution is also pretty weak > in schweser I am thinking that schweser may be right here, since LOS does not explicity refer to that either: Reading 40: Risk Management Applications of Swap Strategies h. demonstrate the use of an interest rate swaption (1) to change the payment pattern of an anticipated future loan and (2) to terminate a swap. So, I am going to leave it out. It better not show up in the exam, otherwise I may resort to loudly airing my grievances with the curriculum. That is not violation of CFAI Code of Conduct.

Anyone has any additions to this list?