Tips on how to keep level of motivation up?

With only 68 days left, I am getting a little nervous. Despite the fact that I am more or less on schedule to get through Schweser and the important CFAI readings by April 27 (six weeks prior to the exam) my level of motivation has suffered a bit when I looked at past sample exams on the CFAI website last night. The exams are tough and cover many details of a broad curriculum. Right now I do not know many of the details required to succeed!!! Anybody else feeling overwhelmed by the amount of detail and the broad scope of the curriculum? What do you do when motivation is low? Exercise? Coffee? Beer? Do you have any tips for these periods? I sometimes figure that 80’000 plus people have managed to get through the stuff before- so passing L3 is doable. The current CFA charterholders couldn´t have all been geniuses, right?

despite the panics - we are all in the same boat … trying to study efficiently with time given, and constraints of work, family and personal stuff. Like all those before us- what we are going through is not new AND they passed the exam … so i am going to take heart that I am studying diligently, despite low retention as I start re-looking at areas I have already read once … that I will stand a good chance of passing too … all else remaining the same … … stress levels will be elevated within the next 10 weeks … frustration of not not retaining information … but the pass rate is not 100%.

my tactic was to keep myself mindfull of how much money I woul dbe making after i pass the exams since i dont even think about that now, I have no suggestions… try this … - get it over with and dont deal with it next year

I’m planning a lot of stuff for after the exam. To be specific, 3 things so far: 1. A wild weekend away with friends in June/July (perhaps St Tropez or Marbella) 2. Getting my Private Pilot’s License 3. 3 or 4 week trip to Thailand towards the end of the year I know that I will feel better about enjoying these luxuries once I have passed.

expect that you will get many questions wrong on the actual exam- and that’s okay. Just don’t feel like you have to get everything right else you might cave under the pressure. I think if you go in with that attitude you might do better. if you get 5 or 6 out of 10 there is probably a good chance you’ll pass

turkish_dude Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > my tactic was to keep myself mindfull of how much > money I woul dbe making after i pass the exams > > since i dont even think about that now, I have no > suggestions… try this … - get it over with and > dont deal with it next year How much ^^, can you gave us a rough figure for inspiration? I am really interested on passing level 3 will get you. Do you got the 4 years of experience needed for the charter? Sorry for being rude.

With the slumping market, I will be happy to be just done with the CFA program. That’s enough motivation for me.

My motivation is high right now because I won’t study for 3 days next week so I have incentive to get as much done as possible in the next week…going to see a practice round at the Masters in Augusta GA and doing some exercising of my liver with one of my friends for a couple of days

I have a “Hang in There” poster with the kitty on the tree branch - it’s all the motivation I need. (I try not to think of the fact that the poster was made in the 70’s and, determined or not, that cat is long gone)

AbbeFaria Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have a “Hang in There” poster with the kitty on > the tree branch - it’s all the motivation I need. > (I try not to think of the fact that the poster > was made in the 70’s and, determined or not, that > cat is long gone) Nice!!! Probably better than the picture of the stoned looking frat boy with a sweater with"college" written on it!!! If we could crop on “CFA” to that sweater, that would be sweet!

Remember… you gotta be in approximately the top 50%. Do you think you can be in the top 50%? I feel behind and I’m a little nervous, but I do think I can be in the top 50%. That helps. I’m used to shooting for being in the top 5% or 10%. By that standard, I’d be freaquing out fer shure. If not, then I think of the money! (though money is not the major motivator for me, it still is very nice to have it).

I think the best motivator of all would be “if I pass, I won’t have to look at this stuff again next year and ruin another springtime”

Thanks for all your input on how to keep the motivation level up! I really appreciate the feedback and the discussion! Let’s hang in there and suffer a bit for the next 10 weeks! June 7th is not only exam day, but also the start of the European Soccer Championship! Knowing that I did poorly on the exam would probably spoil the whole tournament! So I better get back to effective spreads and other beauties of SS 14.