global Performance--Reading 44 question 11 page 109

Question # 11 1)If inter. investment managers, as a group, beat some national market index, what does it tell us about performance of local investment managers? Answer: If inter investors as a group beat some national index, it must be that local investors as a group underperform the index 2)Whould you reach the same conclusion if inter managers underperform as a group relative to some local market index? Answer: No. Because of costs, both international and local investors can as a group underperform local index ********************************************************** Can you explain the logic in this answers

I can understand 2) but i am confused #1

Investment manager cannot get the same performance as the index even when he replicated the index by 100%. That’s because investment manager incurres transaction costs (and index return is calculated w/o taking t-costs into account). Therefore, performance of all investment managers as a group should also be remaining must underperform (so that total performance of all investment managers < national index) If we’re given that part of managers underperformed -> remaining can either underperform too or outperform (it depends on by how much the first group of managers underperformed).

this is wierd coz in ans 1) you would never know if the local currency appreciated ( against domestic currency) or not coz if it did then the performance of the int.investment manager would be enhanced…so you cant kill local investment managers who have no control over/ exposure to currency ???

am i right or i m just to tired tonite to study?? :frowning:

It seems that they ignore currency changes in the answer. I.e. if you start thinking in terms of LC appreciating/depreciating, I don’t think their answer still holds.

hey tanyusha …u frm India?

i am still very confused

equity_research_nds, no. What made you think so?

Thanks tanyusha! this helps a lot!

nothing!!!

she is from russia probably

>she is from russia probably I am. Originally.

Figures, tanyusha is a more gentle way to say Tanya, that is all that i know