Can I use abbreviations in the morning?

When I write, I tend to use some quick short hand, such as %, w/, yrs., jr/sr, etc. Will the CFAI accept this or should I just write it all out? Also, can we define things within an essay (ie Jasper Asset Management (JAP)) and use it for the rest of the text? There are probably a thousand posts on this but I’m getting anxious. I’m forgetting how to add, let alone distinguish between loss aversion and regret minimization.

I’m assuming that if they can tell what you mean by your short-hand then yes.

The first abbreviation I’d love to use is K — for thousands. It’s much neater to say $150K instead of writing the long $150,000. And that makes calculations easier. - sticky

can i use ass. for assets? like cap. ass. ?

bust a cap CSK!

comp_sci_kid , that made me laugh!!

Graders do everything they can to figure out what you are saying, read bad hand writing, decipher rotten English from native French speakers, etc… People hand around exams and say “can you read this crap and what is this person saying?” There is no question that $150K for $150,000 is fine. All “%, w/, yrs., jr/sr” totally fine. “JAP has 900K AUM w/ 10% eqty, 80% FI, 10% real estate (RE). Total RE exp = 90K” would be fine.

Joey: What’s your opinion on Pencil vs. Pen. With all the comments about crossing out and messing up your exam. Pencil sounds better. Is Mechanical pencil OK?

No opinion except don’t use red ink or any weird thing like that.

I’m going to use Tactical Fusia colored ink on mine…

I used pink ink and dotted my i’s with hearts.

Using pencil is not a good idea. We had a seminar today and the tutor mentioned that the answer sheets will be detached and grouped together by question. all question 1 answers from all the candidates will be grouped together and valued by one set of graders…all that that group will do is to just grade one question throughout their stay!! they will try to do their best to decipher what you are trying to convey but there is everychance that most of your answer may not be visible…why take risk, better use black or blue pen

krishna1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Using pencil is not a good idea. We had a seminar > today and the tutor mentioned that the answer > sheets will be detached and grouped together by > question. all question 1 answers from all the > candidates will be grouped together and valued by > one set of graders…all that that group will do is > to just grade one question throughout their stay!! > they will try to do their best to decipher what > you are trying to convey but there is everychance > that most of your answer may not be visible…why > take risk, better use black or blue pen Hey somebody in a seminar told me the same thing today!!

bank seminar?

yes :slight_smile:

They aren’t detached; the tests are kept in groups of 20. You walk down to the packet room. They give you a group of tests. You walk back to your class room at the high school, grade your question. The you walk down to the packet room, return your packet…

I know a bunch of people personally that used pencil and passed, plus there was a thread on this earlier in the study year and many that had passed last year came out and said they used pencil and passed. To be honest, I have yet to see anyone tell me they used pencil and failed. Not saying it didn’t happen, I just haven’t heard anyone say it yet. I’m guessing it’s a non issue and I will be using pencil. 1) my printing is better (edit) and I think the graders would appreciate that. 2 I just feel more confident, and won’t get flustered if I make a mistake.

agreed Big Babbu

is write out allowed in the exam?

tackling the big questions of pencils and whiteout in this thread. I’m glad somebody is finally talking about the elephant in the room.