Hypothetical question.....Is this exam passable if you didnt have a calculator??

I’m curious to know how much of the exam is calculations based and if it is passable without focusing on calculations at all (i.e no calculator) but you still understand all the material and how to incorporate the meaning of certain returns and how/why they change etc…

yes i think but you have to have VERY solid grip on fundamentals and how formulas are created

Yes. You can easily pass the exam without calculator if your fundamentals are good. I believe there are very few questions where you need intensive calculation.

I’m with you, there was some crazy Total Return calculation on a futures contract I think. I’m totally blowing that one off.

In multiple choice, I don´t think so. I am sure you can guess if the right answer implies higher / lower / positive / negative, etc, but once you know that, I am sure that you will have at least 2 possible answers that go in that direction. No way you can pick a single one without doing the numbers (unless the question itself mentions “no calculations required”) In the essay, I don´t expect many calculations, except for required returns, and some calculations at the portfolio level instead of individual assets, and perhaps some sharpe ratios or other… Not much

I can’t take this exam, but when I could if hala_madrid had said that I would have been right up there with $50K says I can pass this exam with no calculator. Someone here (c’mon, pach) needs to have some bal … balance.

hala_madrid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In multiple choice, I don´t think so. I am sure > you can guess if the right answer implies higher / > lower / positive / negative, etc, but once you > know that, I am sure that you will have at least 2 > possible answers that go in that direction. No way > you can pick a single one without doing the > numbers (unless the question itself mentions “no > calculations required”) > > In the essay, I don´t expect many calculations, > except for required returns, and some calculations > at the portfolio level instead of individual > assets, and perhaps some sharpe ratios or other… > Not much ______________________________________________________________________ This is exactly what happenned to me for L2- I lost my calculator at lunch but i studied so much for L2 that i knew everything inside out. How different components affect the variables of the return etc… and for most calculations I was able to get the right answer through this. there was agood chunk where there was 2 answers left (e.g. i knew that the number would have to be higher then a certain number given, therefore i would automatically cross out 2 answers, i was then left with 2 numbers and it was up to my judgement based on my understanding of the fundamentals on whether the number should be MUCH higher or Slightly higher. I passed L2 first try with no calculator for afternoon session and want to see if I could do L3 the same way

IH8FSA - What’s with this? We’re trying to get a decent bid on this and you’re stomping on the market. Sigh.