"This space reserved for CFA Institute"

Anyone else freak out when they realized they were outside the maegins?

i definitely wrote outside the margins to a small degree. i don’t care if they reserved it or not, those were my pages.

yea I totally wrote in those margins, bad enough they give you no time but then you cant fully write on the pages, garbage I say.

I’ll go one worse. When I finally got to question 10 (with zero time to answer) I realized that I had answered part of question 4 there, instead of on the extra pages. Do you think I’ll get dinged? I crossed out where it said 10 and wrote 4, and even wrote (Sorry!) on the page. Just not sure how anal they’ll get.

This might be bad news Jed, but they have different graders for each question, so I’m not sure if the grader for question 4 would look at the page for question 10 and the grader for question 10 won’t evaluate your answer for question 4.

Man, couldn’t you just keep that to yourself? You know - if you don’t have anything nice to say… :slight_smile: Do you thing writing the CFAI would be a good idea?

where do they say they’ll mark you down for writing outside the margins? in the test booklet instructions? if so i am screeeeewed!

what margins are you guys talking about? the boxes?

on the blank pages, there was a margin on the right hand side of about one inch. at the top of the margin it said something like “for CFAI use only”

I think that a) if you checked off the box for question 4 where it said “check here if you used the pages in the back of the book for your answer” b) they don’t physically separate the pages of the book c) they allow the graders flip through all the pages instead of limiting them to just the pages that the question is on and d) you clearly marked “#4” on your answer on the question 10 page, then you’re ok. I can’t imagine they would be stupid enough to not be able to find an answer that’s off by one page.

I think writing to CFAI will certainly be a good idea. First, you will give them heads up (it may or may not help, but certainly won’t hurt). Second, you’ll get an aknowledgment email, which may help down the line if you decide to dispute your results later on.

i don’t understand why they just don’t have boxes for every question (and then have extra pages at the end of the exam for those who need more space) rather than having you do some in the boxes and some on the paper at the end of questions. i had to rewrite like 3 answers i had in the paper section because after i thought i finished the question i saw the boxes for it. just stupid.

“This space reserved for CFA Institute” I already tattooed this phrase on my rear.

I agree, and giving us a million blank pages with a few templates sandwiched in between is really confusing. oskigo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i don’t understand why they just don’t have boxes > for every question (and then have extra pages at > the end of the exam for those who need more space) > rather than having you do some in the boxes and > some on the paper at the end of questions. i had > to rewrite like 3 answers i had in the paper > section because after i thought i finished the > question i saw the boxes for it. just stupid.

I didn’t notice until I has half way through that the margin to the right was reserved for the CFA Institute. I know that I invaded the margins at first, but I don’t even remember how much I invaded the margins. I don’t think that it was much and I hope they don’t ding me for it.

I don’t think they will penalize. Just may make their job a bit harder.

i didn’t even notice. i’m sure i’m out of the margins

There is no way to penalize someone for some writing infraction. That’s just not the grader’s job. Now if the grader can’t find part of an answer, it just won’t be graded. Jed might have some trouble with that.

i had no idea the right margin was off limits. if they ding me for that, i’m majorly screwed. oh well. it’s time for summer.

Last year, for Level 3, I wrote in the margins, off the margins, redirected the examiner to various answers a few times after i messed up a few questions, had answers all over the place… Luckily the CFAI examiners used some common sense and exercised mercy (and I passed :slight_smile: ).