Work Experience: Commercial Loan Officer

I am a VP of COmmercial Loans and manage a fairly large portfolio. While my title obviously doesn’t fit the traditional investment management role, those familiar with banking realize that analyzing and underwriting loans is basically an invetment process in and of itself (ie you get in deposits and pay interest on those deposits, you then invest those deposits in the form of loans to generate a sufficient net interest margin and return on equity; the underwriting process is basically an in-depth dissection of corporate financial statements and tax returns to determine capacity to repay). Is anyone else out there in the same boat or know of any other loan officers that have been awarded the charter?

CFAI does provide a listing of generic job titles that qualify…I thought that was one of them??

Big Babbu Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFAI does provide a listing of generic job titles > that qualify…I thought that was one of them?? I thought it did as well but it was not on the primary list of job titles. I remember seeing it on a second set of listed job titles, but now I can’t find the web page for that list.

It looks like with the change in the work experience requirement (4 years now) they’ve consolidated that list of job titles…if I remember correctly, it used to be much longer. But I think your work experience would fall under " Client service representative or relationship manager." That’s a pretty broad job title open for interpretation. Unfortunately, none of the Commercial guys here have attempted the CFA program so I can’t provide a diffinitive answer for you, but I see no reason why that work experience wouldn’t qualify. I have some outside contacts who might be able to help. I’ll send out an email and let you know if I get anything back that might help you out.

Big Babbu Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It looks like with the change in the work > experience requirement (4 years now) they’ve > consolidated that list of job titles…if I > remember correctly, it used to be much longer. > But I think your work experience would fall under > " Client service representative or relationship > manager." > That’s a pretty broad job title open for > interpretation. > Unfortunately, none of the Commercial guys here > have attempted the CFA program so I can’t provide > a diffinitive answer for you, but I see no reason > why that work experience wouldn’t qualify. > I have some outside contacts who might be able to > help. I’ll send out an email and let you know if I > get anything back that might help you out. Thanks Big. I appreciate it.

Let me know too, as I started off as a credit analyst for a couple of years but am now a corporate/commercial relationship manager and lender for a commercial bank.

hi BigBabbu, possible to send that email to me too? sgxtradingfloor@gmail.com am too a commercial relationship manager for commercial bank. appreciate the kind gesture. :wink:

anyone of you got their work experience as commercial bank credit analyst accepted? i’ll appreciate if i can get some guidance…drop me an email at cfafreak@gmail.com

I am currently a credit officer for a large bank, and have come up through similar roles. My experience was accepted, but that was five years ago. I understand that the list of example job titles is much smaller than it used to be, so I don’t know if it would still count. Couldn’t hurt to just pick up the phone and call CFAI.

You are managing a portfolio of loans for the bank, with targeted earnings levels, efficient capital utilization, etc. Think about it thta way and make it work for you.

I am in the same boat here, I was working as a senior credit Analyst and then was recently promoted to a credit officer, I hope CFAI accept my work experience, I am afraid they wont!!

Just freaking call them if you’re concerned. They have been responsive and helpful in the couple of occasions I’ve had to call.

Look, guys. It’s almost always possible to BS CFAI into accepting your work experience. There are freaking auditors on this board that were approved. Auditors! Just read the CFAI job descriptions and make sure your statement hits on the necessary points. It seems almost impossible that you will not be able to justify that your job “contributes to the investment process” or whatever they want it to say.

I am a former analyst, credit officer, and now relationship manager at a large commercial bank. I was just awarded my charter about three months ago. I even apparently posted in this thread back in 2008! Talk about what you did as an analyst, i.e., analyzed financial statements, made financial projections, examined creditworthiness of potential borrowers, performed recovery analysis, conducted quarterly/annual reviews, analyszed market data and research, used scenario analysis and DCF analysis to determine value of company in case of liquidation, etc. As an RM, talk about closely monitoring the ongoing financial profile of your borrowers and potential borrowers, created your own financial models, worked closely with analysts in modeling repayment scenarios, did market research to best determine loan structure, researched Loss Given Default metrics, probability of deafult in order to assign a risk rating, etc. Just talk about your job, IN GREAT DETAIL. Talk about specific modeling or undwerwriting tactics you used, etc. Mine was appoved in a matter of days.

FloridaGator Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am a former analyst, credit officer, and now > relationship manager at a large commercial bank. > I was just awarded my charter about three months > ago. I even apparently posted in this thread back > in 2008! > > Talk about what you did as an analyst, i.e., > analyzed financial statements, made financial > projections, examined creditworthiness of > potential borrowers, performed recovery analysis, > conducted quarterly/annual reviews, analyszed > market data and research, used scenario analysis > and DCF analysis to determine value of company in > case of liquidation, etc. > > As an RM, talk about closely monitoring the > ongoing financial profile of your borrowers and > potential borrowers, created your own financial > models, worked closely with analysts in modeling > repayment scenarios, did market research to best > determine loan structure, researched Loss Given > Default metrics, probability of deafult in order > to assign a risk rating, etc. > > Just talk about your job, IN GREAT DETAIL. Talk > about specific modeling or undwerwriting tactics > you used, etc. Mine was appoved in a matter of > days. greaaaaaaaat news , really happy to hear that :slight_smile:

Yeah, I feel like I am a lone ranger working in coporate lending. I work on participations in nationally syndicated loans, but still, I think I’ve come across the CFA letters maybe twice in 5 years in an offering document.