Is 30 considered old to obtain the charter? I don’t plan on going back for an MBA until after I get the CFA….

Personalized CFA® exam prep is here! Through this exclusive Analyst Forum offer, you can save 10% on a June 2020 Level III CFA PremiumPlus™ or Premium Study Package. Use promo code KS-AF10 at check out. Offer expires Oct 31, 2019.

I sure as hell hope not because I just turned 30 and will sit for L3 in June 2009.

30 3/3

Is this statement correct to be put on the C.V. according to the CFA Institute Standards?

I passed my CFA Exams on the first attempt and am now awaiting the CFA Charterholder.

Or should it be

I have passed my CFA Exams and am now awaiting the CFA Charterholder. ?

muhd15 Wrote:
——————————————————-
> Is this statement correct to be put on the C.V.
> according to the CFA Institute Standards?
>
> I passed my CFA Exams on the first attempt and am
> now awaiting the CFA Charterholder.

NO. This would mean you are holding yourslelf as superior to other candidates (3/3 reference, borderline unethical even though it’s a true statement) and that you are waiting for someone who happens to be a charterholder (does not make sense)

>
> Or should it be
>
> I have passed my CFA Exams and am now awaiting the
> CFA Charterholder. ?

NO. This means you have passed your exams and are waiting for someone who happens to be a charterholder.

You should say:

I’ve successfully completed all three levels of the Chartered Financial Analyst examinations and will be able to use the designation after fulfilling the work experience requirement.

I’m 25 from Vancouver, Canada.

Level 1: December 2007
Level 2: June 2008
Taking Level 3 in June 2009.

38, four years total
Failed on leve II once since I used Stella, cost me a year:(

38, four years total.
Failed once on Level II by using Stella:(
BTW, am I the oldest one here?

32 years old

Failed Level I in June ‘01 (not a typo)

Level I Pass in Dec ‘07

Level II Pass in June ‘08

Level III ????????

"That's pretty low, mister! If I had a rubber hose, I would beat you into a... "

L1 Pass- Dec 07
L2 Pass- Jun 08
L3 Pass-

29 6 for 3 (hey the first two times trying L3 don’t count :) I hardly studied - not by choice)

2006 - June - L1 - FAIL
2006 - Dec - L1 - PASS
2007 - June - L2 - FAIL
2008 - June - L2 - PASS

Appearing for L3 in June 2009…hope to break the alternative FAIL/PASS/FAIL trend :D

L1 Pass - Jun 07
L2 Pass - Jun 08
L3 Pass - ?

Level 1 - June 2007
Level 2 - June 2008
Level 3 - writing in June 2009

misslee, CFA

30, 4 years

June 2007 - Level 1
June 2008 - Level 2 ????????? - Level 3 (1st attempt will be June 2009)

—————————————————– This feeling is so so so f x x k ! - qqqbee, August 27, 2010

i am 25, 3 in 3, 2 years.

I know this girl from work, passed level 1, failed lvl 2, passed level 2, failed level 3, failed level 3, failed level 3 (we studied together on this last one). This is crazy.

Hi Annan -

Old man hanging right here with you; I turn 38 in Feb.

What’s your track? I changed careers @ 32 years old after getting my MBA from a top ten school (was in wealth management before, now real estate practice of investment banking line of major commercial bank: construction, bridge, capital markets lending); I’m now interested in focusing more on PE real estate (should be lots of activity for opportunity funds in the coming years) and the CFA seems like a nice tool to help with the transition…

jd–

when are the banks going to start lending to commercial RE again? Lots of pain out there cuz owners can’t refi and the extensions are running out! Although I don’t blame lenders for running away from some of the deals that were done in 06-07.

I think you’re right, many managers are starting to think about staffing needs to take advantage of the opportunities that are here/coming in 09. Late this year could be a sweet spot. Just make sure if you make a move, that the fund’s sponsors have a good track record of funding their commitments. I wouldn’t be surpised if a good number of managers (who think they have plenty of dry powder) end up getting the rug pulled out from under them.

No telling when the spigot will get turned back on. Most of the bigger real estate banks are effectively on a moratorium for originations; any capital we have is earmarked for unfunded construction commitments, restructuring troubled loans, reserves against expected losses, etc. Believe it or not, lending has been steady throughout this cycle for some of the smaller community and regional banks that never took as significant land, condo, resi, and other spec exposures as the larger banks. Unfortunately, they’re too small to fill one of the really big gaps in the commercial real estate capital markets: long-term financing. To your point, all of these commercial assets now rolling off the 5 yr conduit vintages starting in ‘03 and ‘04 are coming up for refi’s in a considerably more restrictive lending environment; conduits are dead, life companies have already placed most of their commitments for 09. Of course, on top of that, with rising unemployment and slowed consumer spending, the fundamentals of the assets themselves (e.g. big box retail, office) are weakening too…

If Obama et al pass this $1 - $2 Trillion bank stimulus/relief package, that could get things going again. The downgraded assets we have to keep on our books are killing us (the writeoffs kill earnings, and credit downgrades tie up more capital for reserves), so the “bad bank” structure might give us a clean slate.

Either way, 09 looks like it’s going to be a wash for lending to commercial RE. I just don’t see or hear of anyone of my peers with either the capacity or willingness to take on any more exposure right now. And when a bank does decide to do something, we’re usually slow as heck to do it!

Thanks for the tip on underwriting funds’ sponsors; I’ll definitely need to dig into their bench strength. Depending on how the RE PE search goes, I’m thinking as a backup about moving into special assets (preferably with my bank but maybe putting some feelers out with others as well); that should be one place in financial services with some job security over the coming years (!), plus I think it’s one of the more entreprenuerial, gritty (in a good way) areas of the bank these days. Good learning opps.

I admire your resilience. Honestly.
It takes herculean mental strength to fight against self doubt, mental hurdles and feelings of despair.

What have they been feeding you?

Level 8 Wrote:
——————————————————-
> 41.
>
> Passed
> L1: 2001
> L2: 2005
> L3: 2008
>
> 3 fails at L2. Skipped one year when I realized
> it was hopeless.
> 2 fails at L3.
>
> Was it all worth it? Yes.

I’m 40 + married 3 daughters.

L1: Dec 2007
L2: Jun 2008
L3: Jun 2009 (I cross the fingers)

MH

Troobs Wrote:
——————————————————-
>
> I know this girl from work, passed level 1, failed
> lvl 2, passed level 2, failed level 3, failed
> level 3, failed level 3 (we studied together on
> this last one). This is crazy.

Now, this is really really scary.

I ran into a girl in calgary that passed level 1 and 2 on the first try each, then failed level 3 - 5 times in a row and gave up.

That would make me cry.

Level 1 Dec 07
Level II Jun 08
Level III June 09