How long in the program?

I was a poster here many years ago and decided to take a break for a few … years. Passed Level I in 2000 Failed Level II 3 times and finally passed in 2004 Failed Level III in 2005 Took a year off Failed again in 2006 and 2007, and decided I should get some letters behind my name, $20k be dammed and am working towards my Masters in Finance (MSF, not MBA), will be done this June, and will hopefully sit in 2010. I also married a wonderful woman this past July that I’d been dating for 5+ years. Married life will make studying … challenging. Geeze, never in my wildest dreams would I think that it could take me a decade to pass three exams. I really haven’t paid attention to the CFA program since I left in 2007 and have come to learn that the QUANT materials is completely gone in Level III. What the heck. I’ve also seen that the pass rates have dropped like a rock lately and repeat test takers is way up. Anyway, just curious if anybody recognizes my screen name (both from CFA materials and from my posting days). Good luck to all.

keep pluggin’ away there. don’t forget the big picture - money comes & goes but true love conquers all eerr…hang on there…it’s the other way round… (sorry)

cpierce - i certainly respect your tenacity! good for you to keep at it. a lot of people would have given up after that 2003 L2. one more to go.

Wow, no one can ever call you a quitter… unless of course you fail again and quit. :slight_smile: I passed L1 in 12/07, passed L2 in 6/08, and will hopefully finish up in 6/09.

Cpierce, It seems we started L1 at the same time. Back then all we needed was the schweser notes… no one I knew bought the cfai books. for me: 2000: L1 passed first time 2001: L2 passed first time 2002-2008: L3 failed each time. ( along with getting married and having 2 child births) BTW, in 2008, I was in band 10… narrowly missing the 53% cut off. I still remember when L3 pass rates were a high 75-80% as norm. I hope 2009 is the year to end it all. Or, I will claim to be the biggest L3 loser on this forum. sh34

holy sht… i’m frightened.

sh34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Cpierce, > > It seems we started L1 at the same time. Back then > all we needed was the schweser notes… no one I > knew bought the cfai books. > > for me: > 2000: L1 passed first time > 2001: L2 passed first time > 2002-2008: L3 failed each time. ( along with > getting married and having 2 child births) > > BTW, in 2008, I was in band 10… narrowly missing > the 53% cut off. I still remember when L3 pass > rates were a high 75-80% as norm. > > I hope 2009 is the year to end it all. Or, I > will claim to be the biggest L3 loser on this > forum. > > > sh34 Wow…good for you to keep at it…you will get it this time…victory tastes that much sweater when you have failed…

June 2005 L1 Pass June 2006 L2 Pass 2007-08 Skipped (MBA) June 2009 L3 ??? Starting to seem like a long time ago when I sat for L1, can’t imagine that spanning back 5 additional years. Good luck-- building a family is a legitimate excuse.!

sh34, can i look you up in the CFAI directory? I have some questions to ask you … (since you’re an old timer like myself)

This is frankly a bit depressing… I was somewhat hoping that reaching LIII would seem to provide that light at the end of the tunnel. After reading this post, someone just turned the switch off…

CPierce, The funny thing is that you passed L2 in 2004 when there was a 32% pass rate. I wish you and sh34 good luck the next exam you take.

Since December, 2006

sh34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Cpierce, > > It seems we started L1 at the same time. Back then > all we needed was the schweser notes… no one I > knew bought the cfai books. > > for me: > 2000: L1 passed first time > 2001: L2 passed first time > 2002-2008: L3 failed each time. ( along with > getting married and having 2 child births) > > > sh34 Wait a sec… you’re saying that you have taken and failed level III SEVEN times in a row??? Is that for real?

Dude.

how did you pass LI and LII on the first try and then fail 7 years in a row? Lack of effort I’m assuming? It really doesn’t make sense considering the pass rate for LIII for those years and the fact that you obviously know your stuff well enough to pass LI and LII with no issue. I need to know as I have passed LI and LII first try and want to have a smidge of confidence writing LIII…

I sat for Level I in 1963 and have been trying every year since then.

me too, these types of threads scare me

No response from sh34?

Holy Sh*t! Looks like somebody has been taking #3 pencils to the exam.