A question on implied default probability

Hi All,

I have some problems with the following question about implied default probability:

Suppose you want to estimate the implied default probaility for a BB-rated discount corporate bond.

• The T-bond (a risk-free bond) yields 12% per year.

• The 1-year BB-rated discount bond yields 15.8% per year.

• Year 2-year BB-rated discount bond yields 18% per year.

If the recovery rate on BB-rated bond is expected to be 0%, and the marginal default probaility in year 1 is 5%, which of the following is the best estimate of the risk-netural probability that the BB-rated discount bond defaults within next 2 years?

The answer is 9.91%. Is anyone know how to arrive this answer?

Thanks.

Sam, follow the procedure :

((PD x RR)+ (1-PD)(1-RR)) > 1+R

The above has to hold for the investment in bonds. ( Else one would not invest)

For 2 years this Probability adjusted value must be > than what it would yield if one were to invest in treasury

Hence, ((PD X RR + (1-PD)(-RR)) (1+Yield of 2 years)^2> (1+Risk Free)^2.

Solve the inequality to get the result.

(Note tha the qs. asks for BEST ESTIMATE, … not exact answer i.e. exact probability of default)

Is this Part 2 stuff? I really hope so…

Yeah Very much. Hope you are not talking about it;s relevance.

Thankis ABAL. I still get many chapters and questions on hand not yet revised.

Hi ABAL,

Just encountered a similar problem but it calculates in this way. However, using this methodology, the answer is 6.85%. I wonder what is wrong with th following methodology:

Calculate 1year forward rate for discount bond: (1.18)^2/1.158 = 20.24%

Then PD = 1- [(1+T-bond yield) / (1+1 year forward rate fo discount bond)] = 1 - (1.12/1.2024) = 6.85%

Sam,

Need th entire problem. In the above problem the RR is not mentioned. Quote the qs.

Meanwhile, how are you scoring in the tests?

Hi ABAL,

The question is as folllows:

The rate on a 1-year Treausry note is 3% and the rate on a 2-year T-note is 4.5%. THe rate on a 1-year corporate note is 5% and the rate on a 2-year corporate note is 6.8%. The implied probability of default on the corporate note in year 2 is closest to:

Answer is 2.4%

I haven’t yet started the whole set of questions in 4-hours limited time. Thanks for your help

Sam,

This is way too easy to solve. Frankly, they have just asked for the z- spread. So 6.8%-4.5%=2.3%. Again assuming RR being 0 (this assumption part is tricky) Just equate Instatantenous PD= Zt/(1-RR), put RR 0 and there is your answer.