FRM Both levels cleared at first attempt!!

Hi Guys!

I know it may not sound very modest but was curious if others are on the same boat. I cleared both levels at first attempt. Started off in Nov 2013 and then cleared Part II in Nov. 2014. Please post your results

Wow…Congratulations. I cleared level 1 this time around. Planning for level 2 in may. I primarily used Schweser books. Is that enough for level 2 too? How different is level 2 from level 1? Should there be a change in approach. Would be really nice if you could just brief on your prep and approach.

Congrats. Sat for both in November but only managed to get level 1

Please give advise on preparing for part 2

You have 131 days in your hand before you appear for FRM part 2 on May 16 2015. I had barely 100 days. So you have solid chance of clearing the exam. But I would really insist upon understanding the material rather than only focusing on the exam. I teach FRM at Edu Pristine and I also conduct my private classes, which shortly I would be making online for the benefit of all.

There is nothing called as over preparation. So take the plunge now. If you referring to Schweser, target 30 pages completion/day and should it boil down to 20/day it is ok, but should not dip below 10/day That includes doing the EOC.

Make the notes (pencil in the schwesers book itself). The good thing about Part II is it has less of formulas and more emphasis on Application testing of concept.

Learn BASEL by heart. You will need to memorise as much as possible. There are no short cust to this effort.

Expect GARP to test you in every possible way and frankly Schwesers material are grossly inadequate as afar as similarity with actual exam is concerned. FRM exam is a tough nut (you would know that since you cleared Part I). That said, stay away from GARP books for studying. They are not suitable for clearing the exams (to each his own, my view).

The Mock tests are grossly inadequate (not that you will not attempt) and you will need to solve past FRM qs. from the GARP qs. bank (avl. in Mumbai) upto 2009. Do refer also to the CD qs. bank of Schwesers, they are atleast a notch better than the Mock Tests.

In addtion, start preparing your own hand written summary note incl. formulas. I have a bunch with me, I will email , but I still suggest, you write them yourself to ensure you have the right grip and know it well.

Lastly, don’t panic. What GARP makes tough in people with the actual exam, it perhaps compensates the same with a better passing rate. So if you find the actual exam tough… relax, all others are facing the same challenge. If you were in my exam day, the exam hall was a mark of gloom with close to 30-35% of the candidates left the hall within the first 2 hours!!! To say, the least the exam was tough(I perceive so and so did most that I talked to) and nobody was confident with atleast 20% of qs. Stay Put and stay focussed and you may come out better.

My mail id is newavatar190@gmail.com

>There is nothing called as over preparation. So take the plunge now. If you referring to Schweser, target 30 pages completion/day and should it boil down to 20/day it is ok, but should not dip below 10/day That includes doing the EOC. wow, is there so much to study?

>Expect GARP to test you in every possible way and frankly Schwesers material are grossly inadequate as afar as similarity with actual exam is concerned. FRM exam is a tough nut (you would know that since you cleared Part I). That said, stay away from GARP books for studying. They are not suitable for clearing the exams (to each his own, my view).

So what is a good place to start?

>The Mock tests are grossly inadequate (not that you will not attempt) and you will need to solve past FRM qs. from the GARP qs. bank (avl. in Mumbai) upto 2009. Do refer also to the CD qs. bank of Schwesers, they are atleast a notch better than the Mock Tests.

How is bionicturtle’s material? Also are questions upto 2009 still relevant? I though the material had undergone a lot of changes.

Also, besides the more qualitative approach, is there any other change one must incorporate while preparing? Any other striking difference in the prep as compared to part 1?

I’ve mailed you. Thanks for your kind help.

I passed both first try, though I took part I last Nov and part II this Nov. Am doing CFA concurrently, so couldn’t take in May.