Considering the Nov 2015 exam

Hi all,

I passed my CFA L1 in December 2013 and since then haven’t taken exams due to some family commitments. I am looking forward to register for the CFA L2 2016 exam (have gone through the material for FRA and CF).

I am looking to advance with my knowledge and see FRM seems to be a good option. In the near future, I’d like to complete both the certifications. Would you suggest I go in for the FRM L1 this Nov or start prep for CFA L2 for Jun 2016?

With that said, how many hours are we looking at and how Quant intense is the course? I’m looking forward for your feedback and experience.

Thanks

I would say around 150-200 hrs but it really depends. It is not very quant heavy. Go for a 3rd party provider like Schweser or Bionic.

I think you should just stock to CFA until it’s complete. L2 CFA is a beast and it would be best to start studying earlier than later, and not burn out. I feel like that is what I’ve done with L3.

Part 1: Very easy, especially if you’re quant minded and good with numbers. Whilst questions on exam are qualitative, most of them are derived from a forumla.

Part 2: You’ll have to think A LOT on the exam, maybe just 3-4 quant-ish questions. It’s mostly qualitative but only 10/80 questions would be straightforward, rest would require you to twist and logically modify some concepts to find an answer.

PS: I did CFA L1 and FRM P1 in Nov/Dec 2014 and took FRM P2 just now, and about to sit CFA L2. I thought it’s quite manageable but it all depends on your priorities/commitments. Obviously, I can’t say with 100% confidence its manageable coz I still know results of this year’s exams.