GARP or Schweser for FRM Level 2 - November 2015

Hi,

I am in a dillema over which curriculum to follow for FRM level 2 (November 2015) exam?

I studied for FRM level 1 (May 2015) from Schweser only but felt many times that Schweser is not adequate. This feeling got stronger when I attempted the GARP practice exams and was quite worried. Luckily I managed to appear in the 1st quartile.

I now have to decide which curriculum to choose for FRM level 2. The thing is that page count for GARP curriculum is 303 pages more than Schweser notes (1414 vs. 1111). This makes me wonder whether GARP curriculum would be manageable within the time left.

Regards

Kamran

i am in the same confusion, but i think i would refer to garp books for studying and both for practice questions…

btw, do garp books have a lot of practice questions?

Guys, my 2 cents:

1. It is not the pg no.s that matter, it is the contents. GARP as like CFAI books are supposedly better than any other prep provider. But that’s that.

2. Do not and I repeat do not TOUCH the GARP books , if you have a full time job and passing the exam is the only goal. GARP books are not only mathematically abstract and heavy but are devoid of any question… not even example. I believe it would be some years before GARP would finally organise its curriculum and books would be far more standardised. That said, if you also hanker after knowledge part then do refer GARP books, only those concepts that are unresolvebale by Schwesers should be referred.

If FRM-I was a distant reality than the prep provider stuff, you have a lot of surprise for Part II then.

Fortunately, GARP has a lower MPS( or so I believe), so practicisng a lot will sail you through.

But even practise materials are rare commodity and most certainly the Schwesers mocks do not convey 25% of the actual exam.

I never used BT but I referred their videos for my concept clearing. They are WORLD CLASS and I have much respect for the guy, David Harper.

You may try out as well.

I’m in a similar predicament. I’m leaning towards using Schweser again since I did ultimately do comparatively well on the exam

Thats what I was thinking too.

I thought i didn’t do very well and was borderline pass, turns out I passed by a long shot.

Well, I passed both parts using only Schweser & GARP practice exams. I think there was nothing on the exam which wasn’t covered in either Schweser books or their mock tests. Yes, the exam wasn’t straightforward and I definitely had to rely on my professional experience on a few occasions but I feel Schweser gets a lot of undeserved criticism about the quality of their material.

That said, general concensus is that BT is better (I can’t agree or disagree because I never used their material) but 2 other guys who sat the exam with me (studied from BT only), failed P2 - that may have more to do with their own capability than BT but who knows.

In summary, decision is yours to make but I did ok with Schweser - I admit feeling nervous after the exam but I passed.

If you have a lot of time - use both books. There’s no such thing called over-prepared.

Hi

I need your help here.

I am preparing for part 2 amd I have just started studying. But I am feeling that every thing is going above my head as I am finding hard to understand. I am reading schweser notes. So want to ask is it the same with everyone or I am missing something.

Also I have passed part 1 in 2011 so do I have to read part 1 topics again in order to understand part 2.

Kindly help as I am finding it difficult and also have to register for part 2 ASAP.

Thanks

Just dive in and regisyer. U have a solid 130+ days and that should be enough. Do email me or post on the forum for any concept to be clarified. I could also be reached at newavatar190@gmail.com

Hi

Where can I get tutorial video for FRM part 2?