Part 1 & 2 together?

I’m registered for Part 1 in Nov '16 and contemplating doing Part 2 at the same time; the FRM folks I know took it back when it was only one exam; any thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Understand the risk of Part 2 not being graded if I don’t pass Part 1; just curious if it’s manageable and if so, how much time should I plan to study? Thanks!

I considered that last year, but I was in no rush. If you’re in no rush, think about this way:

Only 1 Pro:

-get both done earlier.

Cons:

-each exam is 4 hours long, that’s a 12 hour day after commute and breaks

-double amount of info you need to be familiar with: this means 275-400 hours instead of 150-200 hours between now and exam.

-probability of passing Part 2 is conditional on passing Part 1 on the same day; which is likely lower than if you were taking just Part 2 alone

-Part 2 is not scored if you don’t even make it through Part 1

-kiss your summer and fall goodbye.

Guess its up to you if you want to run the risk. I think when taking both on same day expected return is higher (mostly in the form of passing both earlier), but risk-adjusted return is probably poorer.

Also the data on people who pass both on the same day is quite low. Last I heard from GARP on this it was around 10% so if you have the time, dont risk it. Don’t underestimate the difficulty of this exam. There is a reason the fail rate is 60%

Thanks for your input!

Thanks!

I know this has been done to death but I’d appreciate some advice specific to my circumstances. I’m a CAIA Charterholder and have passed CFA I and II. I’m now on garden leave until December and have time on my hands. Is doing both FRM parts in November a realistic goal for me, given that I will also start studying for CFA III as soon as materials are available?

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you start now, FRM 1 and 2 is definately doable for November. And you don’t need to start on CFA 3 until December.

Also, Part 1 of FRM will help in some aspects of CFA L3.

Sparkmeister, sounds doable. I started studying for FRM Part 1 last August for Nov 2015 and only got in about 10 hours a week of studying and passed with comfortable margin. I think if you’re not working, Part 1+2 is definitely feasible. Plus you have a lot of background knowledge from CFA L2 and CAIA already. I wouldn’t start CFA L3 until after FRM 1+2 if you’re gonna tackle both, no point juggling too many topics at once. Bear in mind each FRM exam is 4 hours so that’s an 8 hour test day, 2 more hours than the CFA exam. You don’t want to accidentally think about IPS from CFA L3 during those 8 hours.

Guys thank you so much for starting the discussion on doing both from 1 and 2 at the same time. I really wanna do this. I know people who hold FRMs but failed in level 3 CFA. So I believe FRM should not be difficult. I can take a one week off from work to focus on level 2 and work on level 1 in my spare times after work? Do you think I can pass both levels this way? Anyone who could pass both at first try simultaneously? I believe it is worth trying as all you lose is the registration fee you pay for level 2.