Advise needed - Recently Completed CFA 3/3, planning to take on FRM next year but am weak in Quantitative Methods

If anyone can give me their 2 cents. I recently completed 2016 CFA Level III and is looking forward to apply for FRM come next year. However quantitative methods have never been my strong points, scoring <50% for both level I and II. However I am much more comfortable with Corporate Finance and Financial reporting.

Given the background information above, how tough will FRM be for someone like me?

Secondly, I have worked in Compliance Operations for the past 2 years and is moving into Operational Risk Readiness next month. Will my job count towards the FRM work experience requirement?

Appreciate if anyone can give me their thoughts on this.

Check out the lecture we just posted to the website. I walk students through the math on the exam. especially good for those weak in math who want to see how I approach the subject.

I am a math guy and a BS and MS in mathematics and it surprises me that someone could earn the CFA charter and be weak in quants. I am not familiar with the quant portion of the CFA obviously since I am preparing for Level I. That being said, I think that the quant material on the FRM is fairly straightforward and similar to what I see in the CFA level I. However, the quant-related questions on the FRM may be a bit deeper or more challenging than those on CFA Level I presumably.

Part 1 is very heavy quant and extremely overwhelming at first. However, your CFA background can help you get through a lot of the exam. Forget about Corp Finance and Financial Reporting though, it’s all about Fixed Income and Derivatives on the FRM.

I think in the end if you study you actually end up understanding quantitative methods more than you ever thought you would during CFA.

If you have an operational risk background, it should be very beneficial for part 2. Definitely sign up and good luck.

That’s false. Given that the CFA is very weight based and quantitative methods is a low weight (I think it’s 10% for level 2?) many candidates simply brush off that section and still pass. If you ask me, CFA is Equity Valuation, Portfolio Management and Accounting.