FRM Part 1 Exam Discussion May 2018

How did you guys find the paper?

Apparently Israelis will only sit for the paper on Tuesday so please do not share any info about the paper.

But in absolutely general terms, how did you find the paper? East, moderate, difficult? Were you tight on time?

Personally I think that paper was extremely difficult and irrelevant. I think I would score about 65, which would not be enough to pass.

Oh wow man. If 65-ish doesn’t get a pass…I’d be totally downbeat. As it is, I estimate my marks to be within the 60-70 region, towards the mid-higher side of that range. I could do most calculation questions but did make some errors. Theory got me though. I think I’ll most likely score 65 thereabouts. I thought it would be enough for a pass. Now I’m not so sure anymore.

@Comedian, how difficult related to BT questions and quizzes and how related to GARP on line questions? I mean it’s hard to believe it might be harder than Bionic Turtle’s questions.

Now, I’m revising BT’s previously taken cca 700 Qs. Revision is taking forever.

Well. I mean bionic turtle problems are more taugh. But, the way GARP tested knowledge is inappropriate for me. I did all bionic problems, all kaplan problems, all official mock exams. I had a feeling that I was prepared for exam, but the questions I encountered were not similar to any of them. Theoretical questions were quite difficult and quanitative parts also required too much calculations (which I believed would not be tested). In addition, there was a serious time pressure.

Related to those of CFAI which are created to teach you and mostly are pretty straightforward, I have an impression that FRM questions, both GARP and BT, are primarily created to screw you.

I agree 100% flashback. That is the main difference. CFA exam was much more structured and organized. On CFA exan you better know what are the main requirements, while on FRM it is pretty vague (my personal opinion).

Thumbs up for you to pass. :wink: Are you planning P2 in Nov?

Hope so. If I pass, I’ll try. Good luck to you. I am sure you will pass as u did in CFA.

You’re really comedian:) Good to see you.

Likewise :wink:

i found the exam to be challenging, ofcourse we talk details after all timezones are finished. :slight_smile: I feel the same as you guys, hoping for a 60+ , although not sure if that will guarantee a pass though. Eager to know what others made of it. Goodluck to the ones taking the exam on tuesday.

Any of you recall any questions? Time zones are done with Part 1 everywhere.

There was a question about mutual and hedge funds. I can’t recall the exact specifics. Does anyone recall? What was the answer?

And one question asks for the delta of a put option. Was it as simple as N(d1) - 1?

i don’t remember the first one perhaps i guessed on it, but on the 2nd one yes- atleast i marked N(d1)-1 , and would think it to be correct.