Work experience requirement

So I was reading the requirements to obtain the FRM designation and now I’m a bit confused.

Does the 2yr work experience have to be done after the exams are completed?

Or is it enough that the candidate has 2yrs of relevant work experience as long as it’s 10 years before of 5 years after completed the 2nd exam?

The second one. If previous work experience is not sufficient, after passed P2, a candidate has 5 years avail to collect the experience and fulfill a FRM certificate. Otherwise, one must take both exams and repeat the process again 5 years after passed FRM P2.

I don’t know what intention is of such attitude, nor I know why FRM P1 is not accepted as passed for all CFA Charterholders since is almost 100 % covered by CFA L1, L2 and L3.

From GARP’s website:

SECTION 1 - ABOUT THE FRM EXAM Exam Requirements for FRM Certification

• Pass the FRM Exam Part I
  • Pass the FRM Exam Part II within 4 years of passing Part I
  • Demonstrate 2 years of professional full-time financial risk management work experience

A candidate demonstrates work experience by submitting a minimum of 4-5 sentences describing his/her professional role in the management of financial risk. The application to submit your work experience must be completed in “My Programs” within your account. The work experience submitted cannot be more than 10 years prior to having passed the FRM Exam Part II.

That looks pretty straight-forward to me.

Work experience can be 2-years from any period within the previous 10 years prior to passing Part 2 of the FRM.

If you don’t already have related work experience…, then GARP gives you 5 years after passing Part 2 of the FRM to demonstrate your 2-yr work experience. If you don’t…, then you have to take Part 1 and Part 2 all over again!