FRM Exam Nov 2018 Feedback

Disclaimer: I don’t know wether November examination is already over. Hence, I will not discuss any exam question nor topics that being or being not tested.

This is my feedback in general.

I took both FRM parts yesterday.

P1 was not so difficult since I was prepared for hard

calculations under the time pressures. However I had about 10 blind guessed answer and another 10 - 15 with narrower guessing between two choice.

Afternoon Part 2 was another story. They smashed me with too many theoretical questions in which I wasn’t so well prepared. I felt like I was guessing about half questions with large amount of 20 blind guessing.

I hope the best.

1 Like

You took both parts of the exam on the same day? Beast. Best of luck! If I ever get around to tackling the FRM, that’d probably be my approach. 2 for 1 and done, lol.

1 Like

I decided not to do 2n1 as i am working the exams in between the CFA exams and CA exams. Also, 8hrs of exams seemed pretty hard but if i had to do it over again, i would probably try and do both and really just focus on mock exam practice rinse and repeat. I did part 1 last Nov and did part 2 over the weekend. I thought it was pretty easy and straightforward, but as you mentioned very challenging on qualitative questions. The exam really made you think and often you could eliminate two choices or work your way to the right answer, but often there were obvious traps or questions that seem right but not related to the question. I was probably 50-50 on about 5 questions and had no blind guesses.

For those that care on my study strategy:

1 July 2018 to mid-October pure Wiley videos and note taking.

From mid-October:

2013: 20 questions mock exam

2014: 20 questions mock exam

2015: 20 questions mock exam

2016: Full 80 questions

2017: Full 80 questions

2018: Full 80 questions

Wiley Part 2 Exam: Full 80 questions

Reviewed my hand written notes twice.

I probably reviewed the exams 3 x each so was pretty confident in the answers and formulas; however, you will see mistakes in the exams. I will greatly advise not to take everything you see in the GARP exams as fact. After working through similar problems you will see the frustration i speak of.

Wiley videos were good for being time constrained; however, their notes and practice questions were also prone to minor errors: normal or Log-normal VaR which is almost the first the formula you come across used the incorrect mean and there were a few more errors but wasn’t keeping track (another was PV of EL vs EL and calculating E1/E2 and D1/D2 used the incorrect rate in one formula but answer was right. I felt Wiley helped me understand the Qualitative questions more on the exam and the Quant questions were better utilised from prior GARP exams.

Best of luck to all. I think is doable and 2 in 1 is exactly the same grade of effort as CFAI L2 and, imo, less hard than L3 with its morning session.

1 Like

RSparks

If so, you’ve pretty nailed it.

I had even more rigorous strategy and am far away from confidence at least on P2. However, given the my home testing post mock feeling compared with mock scoring, and both BT’s and GARP mocks taken and the Schweser’s two,I might be between 60 % and 65 % on the real thing and this might be a pass.

Yep. There are many contradictory in curriculum and tests and even wonder if there might be more than one correct answer. We’ ll see. I’m glad I tried and would encourage the others who are interested to study for FRM. It’s interesting material and is a perfect complement to CFA.

1 Like

Interesting!

Gave the L1 exam only. Confident by 90% in around 40 questions, 50% confidence in 40 questions, 20% total guess in 20 questions.

Expecting around 55/100. Will it likely to cross the line?

1 Like

I don’t know but assume you will be borderline. you get benchmarked against your peers so it will be based on their performance but i say you have a shot. when i walked out of my L1 exam i knew i passed so harder to compare.

You are impressive Flashback :wink:

Best of success!

1 Like

Gracias companero!

When is the result coming ?

1 Like

January 3rd.

1 Like

I came to know fromfrom o forums that FRM part 1 November 2018 results are declared and they are available on the garp website along with qurtiles detail and also there is a list of all the passed candidates.

But have anyone received a result mail from GARP official email address?

My exam results show “Not graded. You have an exam violation. Please contact member services”

I am also not able to contact any member services. Can someone please tell me what this means and what do I do.

I had not done anything inappropriate during the exam and neither can I think of a reason why they would do this. I am really panicking, can this be a technical fault?

Please help.

Thanks.

1 Like

Passed both according to GARP web page. How can I find that quartiles?

EDIT

OK. I’ve found that.

P1: 1-2-1-1

P2: 3-2-1-1

You should mail them for further information. Also bt forums might have some members who can have knowledge about this so you can post there too.

1 Like

I have sent them 3 emails already.

The surpring thing is that there is no mention of any reason in the exam result. Also as per the GARP website - Exam Policy Violations, a candidate is to be notified in advance and is to be given a chance to defend himself, however I have also not received a mail regarding that as well.

Will post in the BT forum as well.

Thanks.

How long does take GARP to approve my experience?

1 Like

@flashback, I don’t understand your question.

1 Like

I must demonstrate and submit 2 years of relevant experience to get FRM certificate. I’m planning to do this later today. I hope that GARP is able to respond (approve or deny) in reasonable term.