Who's paying for FRM out of their own pocket?

Curious who’s not being reimbursed for the FRM? If so why are you sitting for the exam?

Im job searching and seeing how the market is, I might go crazy not doing something on the side. Work is still paying as I have a $9K reimbursable education budget as part of my severance package.

I’m paying out of pocket. I’m doing it out of peer pressure. All my friends are FSAs, FRMs, and CFAs. Gotta keep up or get joked on when taking shots of Jack in a random foreign local.

Paying for it myself as well. But it is turning out to be way more expensive than I anticipated.

i am! 500(?) + 400 for books; company isn’t paying for it.

I am. Not the cheapest. Hopefully the boss will cover the MBA though

I will also be paying myself, my manager sucks! we were told in the begining of the year that company won’t sponser any proffessional development courses this year. Anyways, I want better opportunities for myself, so I will be capitalizing on myself.

I am paying out of my pockets , being an equity trader I felt FRM is a handy designation to pursue

I am. I’m still deciding on whether to take the test or not, but I figure I have until August 31 to decide (I don’t think I’d want to pay for the exam after that). So, I think I’m looking at $700 (exam fee) + $525 (required reading) + $400 (Schweser)? I’m an actuary (ASA) and I’m trying to pursue opportunities in ERM. This includes trying to get the CERA through the Society of Actuaries. Unfortunately, I’m in a position where a lot of the professional development I’ll be subjecting myself to will be on my own. I think the FRM & CERA, along with the FSA, would be a good experience with learning & studying risk management.

I don’t think it is particularly worthwhile for an ASA who is planning to obtain the full FSA to take the FRM. The CFA would be better as it would make you more well-rounded.

FINforLIL, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, my specific experience as an actuary doesn’t qualify me for the CFA credential. A few years ago, they said that the job title “actuary” no longer sufficed for the CFA credential - it must be a job that’s tied to the investment side of things.

Company pays for it, study time is a 100% private investment, though.

wat, check out the CFA website. They updated the work experience requirements. Its all in how you write it up. You should have no problem getting qualified given your actuarial background. Besides, people generally care that you pass the exam, paying the yearly annuity and all that jazz isn’t particularly necessary.

I’m paying out of pocket

**hands up** I’m not sure if I’ll go into risk management in the future, one of the reason I’m taking this is I don’t want to waste half a year doing nothing between CFA level 2 and 3 (if I pass level 2). On the bright side, I’ve decided not to use their reference textbook, thus saving close to 500 bucks (CDN$), and I’ll share the schweser notes with my husband, which saves an additional 500 or so.

I’m also paying for it… compulsive purchase.

got the scholarship from GARP…however paid 150$ from the pocket.:slight_smile:

I’m paying out of my own pocket, as I’m in SalZ’s shoes (job searching, that is) and would go nuts without something before CFA L3. Even I can’t play that much golf.

Paying out of pocket. Considering the CFA/FRM combination as an MBA substitute so I think it is worth the investment.

Thankfully work has already paid :slight_smile: