Just got my FRM designation!!!!!!

Hi guys, Just wanted to share some happy news with all of u.I know there r many like me who have passed After passing FRM last year, and now finally they accepted my professional experience and now I can use FRM designation!!! I would also like to wish all the exam takers…all the best for ur FRM I really would love to see all of u joining the group next year:):slight_smile: Thanks

Congrats - great accomplishment. What prep material did you use?Any advice or suggestions for all of us?Pls share?

Thanks!! I studied for abt 2 to 3 months and I used Schweser and FRM handbook by Jorion. Handbook gives u a very good idea abt the question style in the real exam. FRM questions r generally very tricky and tough so u need to be very careful. Handbook comes in very handy in this case. If u find questions tough…my suggestion would be to go to the end of the paper and start solving from the last question to all the way back. Its FRM strategy to hide tough questions in the end so that by the time u reach there…u r so tired that u miss out on easy ones. If u need anymore help…please let me know

Awesome Abhi. Thanks for your suggestion and feedback.

Hi Abhi, Thanks for the tips. Maybe it is late and I am slow, but could you clarify where you think the easy questions are - at the end? or at the beginning? Your sentence puzzled me: "Its FRM strategy to hide tough questions in the end so that by the time u reach there…u r so tired that u miss out on easy ones. " Thanks

well done!! abhi and thanks for the advise.

Hi paca06, I meant to say that if there r 70 questions in total in a session then if u find the paper tough then u should go to Q70 and start solving backwards bcos u will be able to solve easy questions in the beginning of the exam rather than doing all of those in the end when u r alomost short of time. In my case, my morning session was ok but afternoon was really tough. When I just couldnt get any head or tail of first 20 questions, I went to question 70 and then 69 then 68 and so on.Atleast i nailed those easy ones or else I would have never made it through. All the best guys. If anyone has more questions…pls feel free to ask. Looks like this time syllabus is very huge compared to 2008!!!

Diploma looks very nice, you will enjoy it. It is A4 and is decorated nicely.

Thanks for the beautiful description in advance Yees_Mos!!! But u have ruined little bit of surpirse element involved in this:) When did u get ur certification???

congrats but how are you going to use it? mind to share ?

I passed FRM in Nov 08, FRM from April 15, 2009. Although not GARP member since June 24. I am going to frame diploma and hang it on the wall of my office when I will have a job.

Monki, Honestly…I have no idea how to use it!!! Iam trying to use this designation to get a job and its not helping:( Iam not trying to discourage anyone here but the results are not that great. Maybe Iam expecting too much in short time…but when i look at job postings…they say…10 yrs of work ex required plus frm would be helpful. Telll me…why the f**k will i go for this exam if Iam already an expert in credit analysis after 10 yrs of work ex.Beats me!!! Maybe Iam not that smart and not doing the right thing

The diploma is nice enough to be on you wall of fame. Plus I cleared recently you are not required to pay for membership in GARP

Abhi, Do you have experience in Credit Risk or Analysis?What is your background?Seems to be the case with all these designations, experience trumps the credential. Also, it would depend on what level you are trying to get in at (goes along with some form of experience in the field). Good Luck to you.

Salz, Iam ready to even ready to try for an entry level position but they still look for some experience in credit analysis!!!..so maybe my definition of entry level position is wrong. Just looks like…certification only helps if u have experience…otherwise just theoritical knowledge doesnt help:( Iam little disappointed with the way the companies treat these certifications. Maybe its the recession…u never know. But right now…I just get the feeling that I wasted 2 months for an exam for nothing.I have even done CFA 1 and waiting for CFA 2 result…but whats the point!!! I have 0 experience in credit analysis or investment banking…its not helping my cause(I have only worked in IT as software professional and retail banks as Business Analyst). I would be really thankful to anyone who can guide me to the right person or right company where I can end up with a job. thanks

I agree with you. I feel the right way to do this would be via networking (Im not a natural networker so I am building skills myself). I am starting to use LinkedIn for this and it has been good to accumlate leads but the second stage involves the cold contact which’ll show the effectiveness of the strategy. Im sure economy has a big part to play. Have you tried using recruiters and head hunters (even though I have not heard good things about this but its just another avenue to get yourself out there). I have just ordered the FRM material and Im a little skeptical of the value add. The only saving grace is the company will pay for it if I pass. Keep at it man…Good Luck. P.S. If anyone has any good resources on effective networking, pls do share.

I have updated my profile on linkedin but u know…this is a slow and painful process. U have to build the network and then wait for someone to respond. Its a long process.Iam working on that. But anyone in FRM or CFA discussion forum have better ideas to get a job …pls let all of us know…it will help everyone. I have tried recruiters…tonnes of them…but they start with a bang and end with a whimper!!!

Congrats buddy. I am months away from the CFA Charter, just waiting for my experience to be approved. Just wondering if you know if the FRM will add any incremental value to my profile if I already have the CFA designation? Would it be worth the extra studying? I am a manager of risk analytics right now and am pretty confident that I can land better and better jobs with time just with my work experience and CFA. The FRM looks interesting and I think its going to grow but will it add value given my situation? Any comments you have would be great.

abhi17277 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Salz, > Iam ready to even ready to try for an > entry level position but they still look for some > experience in credit analysis!!!..so maybe > my definition of entry level position is wrong. > Just looks like…certification only helps if u > have experience…otherwise just theoritical > knowledge doesnt help:( > Iam little disappointed with the way the companies > treat these certifications. Maybe its the > recession…u never know. > But right now…I just get the feeling that I > wasted 2 months for an exam for nothing.I have > even done CFA 1 and waiting for CFA 2 result…but > whats the point!!! > I have 0 experience in credit analysis or > investment banking…its not helping my cause(I > have only worked in IT as software professional > and retail banks as Business Analyst). > I would be really thankful to anyone who can guide > me to the right person or right company where I > can end up with a job. > thanks Not everyone is lucky enough to land a wicked finance job right out of Bschool. I did mediocre jobs and worked in commercial banking for crap pay for a while. took the CFA exams in 2.5 years, and kept studying (currently doing an accounting designation). Eventually someone saw my value and I landed a job as a manager of risk analysts (or senior risk analyst)! No joke. Got lucky, but hey everyone gets a break eventually. think about how lucky those kids are that land Ibanking jobs right out of school. Maybe 10 from every graduating class, depending where you live. Bottom line, don’t give up… keep studying and keep gaining knowledge. I landed my job because of the CFA exams no doubt, but also by speaking to my interviewer about the economy I impressed him with my knowledge/understanding of the markets.

Thanks a lot for your encouragement Huongz. I hope all this dream comes true:) Abt your question, since you are already in finance line esp credit, i thing FRM will help you tremendously!! Definetly go ahead and take the exam. Huongz, would it be possible for you to guide me in my jpb search??? I would really appreciate it. You can send me email on abhishek_rai77@yahoo.com Thanks