Rolling the dice with minimal effort - 80 hours ?

Want to give FRM a shot with minimal effort here. Me and a bunch of friends (5 of us) have all passed CFA level 3 this June, and we want to give FRM a go with minimal effort. Overall the CFA materials are still quite fresh in my memory and given I already work on risk system everyday, I want to give this test a go with minimal effort. No biggie even if I don’t pass I just dont want to give myself a hard time again :slight_smile: Do you guys think 80 hours of studying is good? or shall I spend less time on studying? Planning to go 100% Schweser.

80 hours is plenty. I’m doing 150 just to be safe - I assume you’re talking about the whole FRM and not just the first part?

I’m with you monki. Looking at the Schwesers I think it’s manageable. If not, I still won’t care too much. I find the materials interesting and I won’t use the FRM title anyway because it doesn’t add much value to a CFA charter. I like the material, though, I’d read it without an exam :slight_smile: Nice to see familiar faces.

Any concerns schweser isnt really breaking the surface with this one?

not really, no.

In previous CFA multiple choice session, i can spare 60 minutes in average to double check my answers, thats a lot. I figure I can spend less time studying and use those extra minutes to derive any formulas that is missed from schweser anyway. Agree mcpass, the materials are quite interesting and thats why the reason I am giving frm a go. Last day to register.

Yeah, for some reason yesterday I was worried that I’m only on page 220 of book 1, then remembered that this is the FRM…you two are both taking the full test or Level I? I’m shooting for a couple of hours a day from now until test time just to ensure I pass, and because I’m got time galore these days (taking the full exam). The amount of overlap in Book 1 with the CFA curriculum is amazing.

I think the overlap with CFA is far less after book 2, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Shite. For others using Schweser, where are you and how good do you feel about where you are? I’m planning to knuckle down and finish Book 1 tonight, and shooting to be done the first reading of all five books by the start of October; a quick re-read of all by the middle of October, and then practice tests and review for the last month. Planning on doing Qbank along the way to ingrain the concepts into my head.

Still have to start seriously, apart from some skimming my girlfriend has managed to stop me from spending a decent amount of time. She was delighted to be ‘done with it’ after CFA L3 so I’m in the middle of heavy politics. I’ll probably start spending some serious time next week.

McPass, you’re taking the full exam?

skillionaire I liked your timelines are you doing it full time ? dont know why the @#$% i am taking longer to finish book 2 still 170 pages to go , enjoying the read though . but honestly book 2 has more calculation based topics than other books i feel , which involves minute changes in each scenario especially the binomial model and BSM , cannot underestimate the calculations in currency swaps , I wonder what GARP meant when they actually included “calculate” in most of their AIMS , which I dont come across in CFAI’s LOS .

Yes. I finished book 1 within an hour, 90% CFA overlap here. Book 2 doesn’t look much different. I expected a little more depth in the quantitative part but maybe that’s further down the books. My work involves this stuff full-time so I think the majority of my time will not be spent on understanding the topics but on exam preparation in the last two weeks. My timeline: finish the books (reading, thinking I understand what I’m reading) in September. October: do some Q’s in all areas to make sure I indeed understood what I read. November: exam prep, do past FRM exam questions and make sure I can finish on time. skillionaire Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > McPass, you’re taking the full exam?

I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO MOTIVATION TO READ BOOK 1 N BOOK 2 BCOZ THEY R TOO SIMILAR TO CFA NOTES… is that a big problem or not - i may not even read it, just do the practice questions :slight_smile:

I would be cautious about skipping them entirely. Combined they constitute 50% of the fulll exam weight. If you have the CFA background, it’s easy marks to lose if you can’t discipline yourself to go through it properly.

monki Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO MOTIVATION TO READ BOOK 1 N > BOOK 2 BCOZ THEY R TOO SIMILAR TO CFA NOTES… is > that a big problem or not - i may not even read > it, just do the practice questions :slight_smile: are u referring to Schweser books ??

I hope so or we would be talking about different things.

After paying for the cheapest Schweser package, I’m finding the QBank to be a complete waste of money - the books are a little better, though. The QBank is very, very weak. Bionic Turtle questions (and answers) are much, much better, and you can get them off the website for free.

May I pls take a look at the biotonic questions and answers? mcpass@ybeejays.com

Your e-mail address is mcpass@ something??? That’s scary…