pass rate will be slightly below 40%

just my hunch… given the historical enrollment (20K+) as well as the slight downtrend in pass rates over the past few years… you’re bound to have many ppl sign up to take advantange of the last opportunity of a single FULL exam. this should skew the results downwards. http://www.garp.com/frmexam/frmstats.aspx

We heard some people say they know someone that failed, on both BT and AF… So there are failures around! They are just silent then…

I think I know why so many passed… The exam, espcially the first part was so hard that 5% of best probably scored around 85%… You do 85%*70% and you get 60% pass rate… And there was a bunch of scores around the low end of 60%…

Its actually *75% (not 70%) so you get closer to 64%.

so the number of ppl passing was 6,370… i still can’t confirm the enrollment total for the full exam yet… (I might have confused the total enrollment to be 24K, but that might be for both Full and FRM 1)… the number 17K sounds about right (from another thread)… so that makes it roughly 37% pass rate.

This links talks about 15,483 people who enrolled last year: http://blog.taragana.com/pr/global-association-of-risk-professionals-announces-record-early-registrations-for-2009-frm-exam-program-1851/ Without a precise breakout of how many people enrolled for the full exam and how many for level 1 we can’t calculate an exact pass rate, but it will likely be around 40 %.

the 15K count is only as of the Early Registration (April 30)… I still think the total enrollment was around 20K+ (I don’t know where I got this, but I seem to have read it off another thread… all hearsay i tell ya!)… and 17K for Full Exam

Ok… here are some other numbers i pulled: 13.7K total in 2008 from http://www.garp.com/frmexam/frmstats.aspx 6.5K EARLY registrations in 2008 from Klarsolo’s website above Now assuming the same proportion of early/total (47% roughly) and 15.5K early regs in 2009: …wow a stunning 33K total enrollment in 2009… (haha nevermind, that sounds too high) but get my point? even if this proportion isn’t 47%, but instead say 80% (given the hype of last opportunity to enroll in a single full exam), you still have total enrollments at ~19.4K

adalfu, I thought I remember reading about at least 20K registrations myself last year, but I couldn’t find a link for that during my quick search.

The Garp web site has a link to the Wall Street journal article that mentions over 23,000 registrations. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703278604574624513398904666.html

Hmm. I wonder who has an ID # 94694. I think this person was the last person to pass. All the numbers are in order except this one is at the end of the list. Interesting…

bhs: yah, i also just noticed that as well… i was thinking the same exact thing! obviously it seemed like this person was initially a fail, and something had changed… (redone the scantron?, dispute over a cell phone? muahah)

maybe that was the reason why the whole thing was delayed???

Are IDs given in numerical order? If so…congratulations to #3114…it has been a long time coming!

i think #3114 decided to take a 10 year break before attempting it again… (knowing that it’s the final time you can finish it in one exam).

guys 23k registration incl level also… can someone tel the break up of full registration (if you rmeber) i counted and # of candidates who passed the full exam = 6374 # of candidates who passed the level 1 exam = 981 total = 7355 and the total appeared is approx 23k or something…which makes the consolidted pass rate 31.9% which is freeking way less than GARPs going passrate for the past few years (around 43%) Its indeed a tough exam guys, be proud that you passed on hell of an exam.

oh factor in this… 23k is the total # of candidates registered but I think GARP will ignore folks who didn’t show up or took only 1 half of the exam so that willput the 23k down… but god knows what that would be…

yes but does that 23k include those who didn’t choose to take the exam, but enrolled?

yes that number was floating for a while so that is the total number of registered (incl level 1) candidates…

When we checked exams at school I do not recall no-shows of more than 10%. Assuming the numbers provided above are roughly correct, I’d say it’s very likely we find a pass rate between 31% and 36%. IMHO, this is low enough to be happy about passing the exam and inline with recent CFA pass rates. It is also noticeably below the 40% pass rate of more recent FRM exams, which I welcome as a sign that GARP is looking, somehow, to identify skill. If skill is fixed and normally distributed and the material to study is increasing (which was the case for a number of years for the FRM exams as far as I am informed), pass rates would initially go down. Once people adapt their skills to the new situation pass rates could well increase again.