May 2010 FRM Exam Pass Rates

Anybody know what the pass rates were for the May 2010 exam FRM Exam ? Part I ? Part II ? Strangely, I can’t find this anywhere, even though I understand that GARP distributed the pass/fail results to candidates more than a month ago.

Never mind; GARP has finally posted the May 2010 exam FRM Exam pass rates on their website: Part I - 52.5% Part II - 54% This seems like a much higher bar than the 44% pass rate on the old “Full Exam”. http://www.garp.org/frm/overview/frm-facts/frm-statistics-and-charts.aspx

Well, the old Full Exam was actually worse than that - approx 24,000 people registered and only 6000 or so passed. It was carnage. Perhaps Garp have eased up a little. That said, the split format does make it easier - unless you do the two exams together of course.

My point was that the 44% pass rate on the old exam was pretty high – because when when you passed that one level, you were done. An “equivalent” 2-part exam would be if each of the two parts had a pass rate of something like 65%.

was the old exam passing rate that high?I remember seeing 39% in 2008 exam - I could be wrong though.

The historical pass rate charts are here… http://www.garp.org/frm/overview/frm-facts/frm-statistics-and-charts.aspx The way I look at the numbers, achieving the FRM designation instantly became way way harder when they went to the two part exam.

I agree Wendy. The pass rate for the final FULL exam was 44%. If you combined the pass rate for Nov level 1 (55%) and May level 2 (54%) you get a first attempt combined pass rate of only 29%. Things are definately tougher now. GARP is probably trying Up the prestige of this designation.

I don’t know if it is tougher now than ever,but previous exam was having a lot of stuff in one shot. I guess that could make exam itself a little easier now - my personal thought. Maybe the current two-level exams cover more stuff now.

To me, it seems like the current Part II exam *alone* is a bigger hurdle than the previous full exam. In the old 1-part exam, all you had to do was score among the top 44% of people that showed up for the exam. Since there was no pre-qualification, many of those other people writing would just be random unprepared people. Now, scoring among the top 54% of candidates that have already passed FRM Part I, in comparison, is a considerable challenge.

Well, I don’t know many people who randomly turn up - or at least only a small proportion. However, as for the easyness of the one exam format, Garp increased the curriculum learning objectives by 33% for the final single exam. So, having pre-announced the decision to go for the two level exam a lot of peope registered for the final one exam shot to see that the amount of material they needed to learn had already gone up. I accept that it was “just” a six hour exam instead of the eight hours needed to get the designation at one sitting now, but it was no breeze I assure you.