Progress Check

Guys, How far our are on your preparation. I am done with Quants and and halfway into Markets and Products. I am just using BT and Schweser. Given the amount of time we have, I thought going with the core readings is a bad idea now. Also, did you guys notice the similarities between CFA L1,L2 curriculum and FRM part 1.

I am doing the core readings with BT videos and sample questions to clarify some of the material. I am also done with Quant and Markets and Products. I am now tackling Valuations. I should be done with all readings on early October. Then, I will review my notes and do old questions, Hull EOC, and BT sample questions. After reading some of the threads that former FRM takers posted, I decided to not use Schweser. I wasn’t a fan of Schweser for the CFA levels 2 and 3. So, I picked BT which I think is great for the money and for the extensive sample questions and videos. There is definitely an overlap between the CFA and FRM in regards to derivatives, fixed income, risk mgt, portfolio management and attribution, and statistical models. However, the FRM requires a more in depth knowledge of the subject than the CFA. The FRM is a great complement to the CFA. I also think it is a great way to keep the mind sharp and the resume fresh. Having said that, I don’t have to have it. So, I will study my 300-350 hours to prepare thoroughly and if I don’t pass it, I will be done with the program. The FRM is not like the CFA where it will get you a job interview or a promotion (some places). Good luck!

Check again. Done with quant, markets and products. Listened to BT videos for the rest. Anyone tried PristineCarreers.com?

Hi I am doing quant using handbook and core readings. I listened to prisitinecareers videos for quant ( ones available for free), i thot they were very good. how good are BT videos? is it worth buying their package? can we get to see their sample videos anywhr for free?

Hi Yes. BT videos are very good. There are quite a few of them and David focuses on the areas he expects to be tested. It is only $199 for each level which is a bargain. You can see sample videos for free on the BT site before buying. In addition to the videos, BT offers great sample questions, and a very active and useful forum. Good luck!

I’m way behind, fresh off taking the CAIA last week. I’m also studying for the GMAT simultaneously. The good news is that I’m not afraid to fail. I’ve done a first reading of the material (I’m using Schweser) and see a lot of overlap with CFA 1 & 2 which is perfect because I’m doing level 3 this June (which has priority) and this will hopefully get me warmed up to really begin studying for that. I don’t trust Schweser at all. I will be taking a look at Bionic Turtle, as several of you mentioned being pleased with it. I’m going to try to devote at least 5 hours of serious study per day to this for the next 30 days. I’ll reassess where I stand then.