Morningstar Direct

Anyone here use Morningstar Direct? That is one slick tool.

Yep, all the time. Pretty cool tool once you get familiar with it.

Hey what all analyses do you guys do with it? I have a licence, but don’t use it much. I would want to make more use of it. I work for a bank in their financial markets research group.

I’m in asset management, so we manage various strategies. Morningstar Direct allows you do all kinds of analysis on your strategy (for example load your portfolio and a benchmark and see where you are over/under vs benchmark weights). I also use it for performance attribution, researching third party managers. It’s also a great way to create presentations. You can customize different charts and tables of various data points, and turn it directly into a PDF or power point presentation. You can also load your own data if they don’t carry something. If you have a license, they have relationship management types (I think they are called consultants) who you can get as much training as you want from.

Mainly for competitive analysis. Between Morningstar Direct and Zephyr, you get a pretty good idea of what the other guys are doing.

Every day. That and Zephyr.

i haven’t used Zephyr. What are the differences between Zephyr and Morningstar Direct?

Zephyr is returns based, MStar is holdings based. They have different features too, but that’s the crux of it.

What about Thomson Reuters Lipper?