Dissing Buffet

There is an article in the WSJ today talking about Buffet.

For those with a online subscripton, the bloggers (over 150) responded to the article speaking negatively about Buffet calling him a hypocrite, past his prime, etc. there was only 2-5 responses that were favourable.

This was truly surprising.

Not really surprising. Buffet has drawn negative sentiment from the finance community since he started saying we should tax rich people. People think he is a “class traitor” now.

I can see why people would be mad at him. If you are an 80-year-old billionaire, of course you won’t care if your taxes increase. However, if Buffet was 40 years younger and he was still on the upswing of his wealth creation, I bet he would care.

You’d have to be an American to understand.

that’s exactly what the ppl were saying…they also don’t like him being a puppet of Barack Obama…

idk what to make of it at this point…i thought his tax the rich was in the right direction tbh…

I mean, if they want to get rid of things like carried interest so Mitt Romney pays more than 15%, that’s fine. But leave the $250k crowd alone. $250k in an expensive place like New York is like $90k in a cheap place.

check the bloggers on there…definitely a lot of animosity towards Buffet…

I thought Buffet was loved in the US…a national hero sort of…

Things turn quickly when rich people start overtly expressing their opinions. No one likes a billionaire saying the government should take more money from people. Even if those people are uber-wealthy. It’s just un-american.

When you’re on top, lots of people want to tear you down (and the rest are trying to butter you up). It is in the nature of things.

What’s important to keep in mind is that celebrities have their place in society, they should just keep doing what they’re supposed to, in Buffett’s case - make money and and stay out of things they’re not supposed to dabble in. The second they start intervening in politics, they’ll get torn down like everyone else.

So, professional politicians are crap because they are disconnected from society and only interested in maintaining power and establishing legacies.

And other professionals should stick to their own stuff, because they don’t really understand politics.

So, given that even libertarians are not anarchists, who should we use to decide/execute government policy?

why is politics not his business?

just cause he is great at businessman shouldn’t preclude him from doing something else.

I surmise he is more adept at governing than 99% of politicians out there.

It’s doesn’t preclude anything. The point is politicians are hated. Once a person, regardless of how popular they were, dips their toes in politics they become hated by many. It doesn’t matter how good Buffet’s ideas are. It’s just an automatic reaction.

One of the interesting bits about politics is that an enormous percentage of people hate Congress, yet most people love their congressman(woman). It’s the political verision of “Don’t hate the playa, hate the game.”

My boss loves sending me articles about Buffett’s “stuff ups” - like these energy bonds they may take a hit on.

The overall process is what counts long term - Buffett is definitely starting five point guard for the Superinvestors team…I wonder what would happen if Jason Battier (Houston Rockets) guarded him??

people love to hate on buffet…they just wish they were that good…

I am with you Frank…I dare say Buffett knows more about capital formation and the drivers of econcomic growth than the occupiers of the House and Senate combined. One of the great things about outsized success is that you can speak your mind and tell the naysayers to pound sand!

He is rattling cages and all cattle feeding at the entitlement trough are nervously reacting as self interested species do.

So by that logic, we should listen to every billionaire with an opinion and an ego?

i think we should listen to their logic and consider their ego…I think buffet’s plans have normally been very sound…

he is not perfect and of course he is self serving, but we want the least bad apples in this case…

Buffet problably didn’t even bang Becky Quick after she begged to clean out his old pipes…now that’s upstanding…