US Folks: what online broker do you use?

I currently have my regular acct and my roth IRA with Scottrade, but am considering switching my regular account.

What different brokers do you guys use and what do you like about them? I know there are lots of reviews and “best of” lists online, but would rather get real opinions.

Thanks!

you need to move to InteractiveBrokers, its the only pro/semi-pro full service brokerage available to retail … everything else is for amateurs.

im not a shill, just a happy customer

I’ve been using Zecco for 4 years.

It’s good enough for my passive ETF investing…

If I were shopping for a new broker, I might pick OptionsHouse, which has slightly cheaper commissions and will give you a free Kindle Fire if you make 15 trades in the first 60 (might be 90) days.

I have to use my company’s in house brokerage (which is pretty crappy). In my opinion, unless you are doing something pretty advanced, you should just use the service with the lowest commissions.

I started with Etrade, moved to Zecco, then Optionshouse, now back to Etrade. I like Etrade because I can count on their execution, the research is decent, has a mobile app and has some useful tracking tools. Only part I’m not a fan of is the $13 commissions since my portfolio is not that large.

I like Scottrade, except you can’t write puts. I also have a Schwab account. It’s fine, but I prefer Scottrade.

I’ve heard very good things about IB. I need to check it out.

Unless you plan on writing/buying options or buying “below investment grade” debt. You should just stay with Scottrade. I use Scottrade for my rollover IRA.

If you are, I would recommend OptionsXpress. I use OptionsXpress for my Roth IRA account.

I also have a TD Ameritrade account but I don’t recommend it because they’re too expensive. And they wrap their fees into the price on bonds trades; don’t like that.

Zecco - you get what you pay for

IB - Crashed on me

IB has the lowest pricing/commissions/fees/spreads

you can trade basically every market and exchange in the world

I use Schwab. I have had accounts at USAA and ETRADE. My Schwab commisions are $8.95 with electronic delivery. It gets the job done. I think your broker really is decided with how much and what you trade.

Interactive Brokers all the way. Highest comission on a trade I’ve ever paid there was $1.12; most are $1.00. I have my individual, IRA and Roth IRA accounts all on this site.