$1 Million Question

If you graduated from college today with your current experience and $1 million in your pocket, where would you invest it today?

Does anyone else notice that Chad looks exactly like Aleksey Vayner?

Edit: Hmm. Image embed failed, but here is the link:

http://www.dealbreaker.com/images/entries/vaynerinthenewyorktimes.jpg

^Questionable

Ouch.

North Dakota

I’d allocate a part of it to LendingClub. Another part to some index funds. A third to the 5% Savings account at Barclays I just uncovered. And another part to the ballin’ status checking account. I’d probably also want to buy some property and lock in the cheap financing, to build networth. And go wild catting in West Texas, because that has to be exciting.

In real assets, especially at these prices.

Do you have an offer of $1 million for this site?

No, I’m just curious about how everyone thinks through questions like this.

Am I reading this correctly? Savings account at 5%!?!?!

I’d invest it in my portfolio. Stocks like Red Hat, Parker Hannifin, Google etc.

Local stocks and money market funds all the way, 50% and 8% average annual return respectively last year. Waiting for the bubble to burst since past 6 months, but in hindsight, I should have jumped on the bandwagon. Once smooth political transition is complete, market is going to shoot through the sky (hopefully). And I would invest some in dairy business as well, less glamorous but huge potential in this part of world.

Meh, 2045 target date fund.

Obviously would entail more thought than a two minute post, but off the top of my head:

30% in risky stuff - betting with options mostly. not penny-stock gambling, but high stakes stuff anyways

30% in stock picking, most likely energy as thats my sector, and its seasonality makes for some good money making opportunities

15% in a somewhat diversified passive strategy - ETF’s/indexes, REIT’s, etc

15% in the big boys - google, microsoft, amazon, etc. No apple though, I’m somewhat bearish on them

10% in foreign stuff, emerging markets or whatever

What kind of liabilities are you expecting, Chad? What’s your risk tolerance and minimum spending needs?

200K in trading account. 10k for hookers.

The rest, lock in 30yr mortgage and start buying a house.

Ok, realistically, if I got $1 million now, a lot of that will go into real estate. $50-$60k for Porsche Cayman suddenly looks good too… But that is due to lifestyle decisions. If it is purely for making money, I would probably put around 70% in equity index funds, 20% in emerging market fixed income, and 10% in “active management”, i.e. speculating.

Someone asked me this question and my response was to sit on cash or short-term bonds with liquidity until the next buying opportunity presents itself. I might also look into pair trading to take some positions without much exposure to the market. I was curious the professionals would answer the same question.

Correct. They currently just changed the structure to cap the amount at 5,000, but I’m currently exploring ways to avoid the cap. I’d preferably want 2x5000 accounts.

Is this in the US?