Q1 2013 earnings plays/thoughts/etc...

NFLX is back to being a Wall St darling again.

How quickly do tides change on the street… But I think its time to exit, I know Icahn is definitely going to dump it soon (if he hasn’t already)

ZNGA - posts surprise profit, albiet of 1c [probably an accounting gimmick] and tops revenue estimate but still tanks 11% on poor guidance. Interested in what they have to say about the UK online gambling revenue on the CC

ANGI - a 17yr old company that has yet to post a profit is up 8% after reporting yet another loss. Might just be a short squeeze and should be a good short going forward. They charge a fee for something that google provides for free and is better.

Wasn’t able to pull the trigger on either one before markets closed. Looks like I dodged a couple fo bullets…

NFLX is probably up on some of the good news about their original content, which is decent.

The issue is that playstation, xbox, cable companies (comcast who bought NBC or direct tv who bought blockbuster). These guys are looking to take NFLX out, and the only thing NFLX has is… nothing. A few original content shows. These guys have the upper hand on the actual delivery platforms.

I think cable companies, as long as there is wired internet that every house needs, have the biggest chance of taking over the streaming content market. If they lose their wire monopolies, may be a different story.

I’m sure google will take this market eventually take this market when they take over wireless internet. Which is why I’m long as [explicit] GOOG

http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/24/yahoo-signs-an-exclusive-for-all-saturday-night-live-streaming-content/

beware of the content war…

Go long content creators of all sorts

Did Directv buy Blockbuster? I was thinking it was dish network?

oops. yep. Got my dish companies in a tussle.

Seriously I don’t get Angie’s List. Why would I pay for something that I can compile for free between Google/yelp/etc. Stock up almost 30% today as I write this.

yeah i don’t get ANGI. i see how it might make a little sense for the U.S. but in Canada and Europe, where choice of doctor is less important and doctor availability more scarce, there is little value in ANGI. am i really going to subscribe to ANGI when all i need reviews on are plumbers and electricians? probably not. i think this is the major issue. you can’t compare ANGI to any other social media or internet company in terms of valuation b/c ANGI is ONLY feasible as a charge service in the U.S. the company will stop growing one day and it will soon look like MWW. i predict a 60% down day within the next 2 years.

$1.5B valuation on $59M quarterly revenue. Trading at ~5.7x projected sales & ~10x TTM sales

Haven’t seen a shittier financial statement. Makes Amazon look like a value company.

Should dropped into single digits within the next 12 months.

Awaiting the following earnings today

VPRT - Vistaprint. Great company and know people who have ordered from them.

WYNN - Steve Wynn’s outlook on the economy and US gov’t are always a great read in the CC

AMZN - What do they have in the bags for us this time? Another nickel in profit on $20B of revenue?

TNAV - small cap play on smart phone GPS provider. Has had a nice beat history, expecting one more.

I read an article on how a lot (they claimed it was a record) of companies (as a percent) are missing earnings estimates.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2013/04/24/profit-warnings-for-2nd-quarter-start-piling-up/2110889/

I think it’s just signs the market has gone too far up and may correct downward (towards mean PE levels) in the short to mid term.

^Look her up, HCB.