Cash

im almost 70% cash as of today devil

Yes, moving to gold is a good choice.

I’m sticking to my long-term target allocation, but am contributing more funds towards paying down debt rather than additional investments.

How do you shift into cash? If I sold off all the longs, I would have to pay mid six figures kind of capital gains tax.

Everyone’s waiting for the blessed market crash and blood on the streets. It’s kind of dark.

its better than paying 0% tax and being in the red?

anyone have any suggestions how to reduce the short term capital gain tax (<1 year holding period)?

I like the rampant fear out there though. Means there’s a lot of cash on the sidelines. So conflicted…

Do the selling in your IRA / 401k account, not your taxable account.

Also, sell your losers along with your winners to offset capital gains.

Join the cash bandwagon and sleep like a baby at night.

Are you having drinks at the Harvard Club with IHIHM today?

this is separate from the 401k - more of a shorter term trading account. i need to hire a tax guy.

im going to delete my handle

What is everyone’s time horizon? I don’t need the cash for 10+ years and adding to my investments on a monthly basis. If the market crashes tomorrow I’ll bet the farm.

If you’re already fully invested today and the market crashes tomorrow, how would you be able to put more money to work? To you literally have a farm to mortgage?

Long-term investor here. While I have continued to add to me investment portfolio thru regular 401k contributions and also DRIP on my existing holdings, I have not initiated any new positions in 2016 in my discretionary account. All $$ that might have normally been used for those purposes has all been directed to high yield savings account (no debt other than mortgage). I feel ready to act if there is ever a market correction.

I’m 1x long, plus 1.5x short…which is like cash but better. Not going to sell the 1x long as it’s stuff I like (and don’t wanna pay tax), instead just pile the short on top, and sell covered puts waiting for armageddon. SPX could hit 1400 and I wouldn’t lose $1, ready for hell.

Find myself mostly agreeing with Fink…either pain, or desperate fiscal spending to push the bull a little further, and then double pain. But it’s not really binary as he says, there’s a third stagnation scenario where people keep dreaming earnings are coming, but aren’t stupid enough to go higher than 25X, sideways for years.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-22/blackrock-s-fink-says-markets-to-fall-15-without-fiscal-action

I’ve shifted to largely LendingClub notes. Outside of my passive portfolio, I’ve just been adding undervalued bank stocks. One of the few sectors that seems like it still has bargains (especially dividend paying bargains), if you look at the stocks that don’t have coverage and are not easily investable by funds. But I also invest in it because it is the sector I know by far the best and it is very easy to analyze quickly, given the amount of data available.

^ You need ICBC , half the P/E of US banks, and double the yield, with the same credit rating and too big to fail status.

Third stagnation scenario makes high yield stocks good though. Is this what you’re long in?

I’m good in down (short futures and long puts) or sideways (got A-shares, H-shares, Brazil and UK stocks in the 6-9% yield zone, I also like preferreds). Will take some pain in an up market, which obviously I think is low probability, but as Fink said there is a path for that.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. But too big to fail banks aren’t my benchmark. I doubt if I could get comfortable with such a large Chinese bank given what I know about their banking system. But maybe I’ll look into it for a learning experience. I was analyzing banx here (seems their dividend cut a several quarters ago has scared away the dividend chasers so far). But couldn’t buy because of compliance