Online Option Brokers

I’ve been playing with simulated options trading for about two months and have had a string of virtual successes. Now I’ve got a few extra pennies and would like to try my hand on real options.

Experiences / suggestions for a broker?

TD Ameritrade…think or swim platform. Option trading is what they do best. I can’t say I have experience with any other platforms for options but the platform layout and depth of information was really terrific with ToS. Really great customer service as well. I don’t use these guys for my futures trading, but would go back to this account if I wanted to pick up options trading again.

optionshouse

By and large, you’re better off just sending your money to me.

You’re likely going to lose it anyway, and it’s worth a lot more to me than it is to the brokers and option writers.

Just a thought.

Valid point. I generally like to learn the hard way, though.

OP…

How complex have your experimentations been? Do you know anything about option strategies or how to use implied volatility? Most likely for long term success you should come up with an approach in how you will trade options. The best part about options is that you can define your risk reward in your favor. Also, it is possible to “repair” a losing position. Understand those things… then prove S2K wrong laugh

You’ll just spend the money on scotch and dog food, right? cheeky

Not terribly complex. I just make a trade and follow actual market conditions, and execute options when the return outweighs total costs (commissions + trade price + a small premium for my time and effort). Since I’m not ballsy enough to ride a gain to its full potential (or looming loss), I prefer American to European.

I like the long straddle and long strangle. Occasionally I really go crazy and synthetic short someone like Sears right before an earnings report.

Yeah, I’m not trying to get rich quick here. Just make sound moves that generate more returns than my Vanguard funds ha. I’ll save the BSD trades for when I have extra quarters instead of pennies.

Sounds good, just make sure along with your calculation of potential return … you are also calculating potential loss. Like in “The Big Short” always ask of your options trade… “how are you going to f*ck me?”. Trust me… look at my signature line wink