Kenneth French Value vs Growth

Dear community,

Does anyone have experience with the return data provided on growth vs value portfolios on the Kenneth French website? I am currently working on a university paper and would like to distinguish between growth and value portfolios based on the Size & Book-to-Market Ratio.

However, there are a number of portfolios, with unclear names. Could I just proceed in taking the portfolio with the highest average returns as a value portfolio (e.g. because of the value premium) and the one with the lowest returns as the growth portfolio?

Thank you for any feedback!

The value portfolios are those composed by stocks trading at low price to book ratios (or high book to market).

Fama just ranks the stocks from higher to lowest book to market: the 1/3 with highest Book to market is regarded as value portfolio, and the 1/3 showing lowest book/market as growth.

Empirically, value tends to display higher returns regardless size. But I would not assume that all higher return portfolios are value because there could be exceptions for some periods / countries.

Hope it helps!

oh cali?