so whats the canadian stock market like eh? any insights? favorite sector? favorite stock? growth prospects? historical info? ty

[original post removed]

This is probably not what you are looking for but Acadian Timber has been one of my favorites in Canada as an alternative investment type. It’s majority owned by Brookfield but 45% or so is publicly traded. They own timberland in New Brunswick and Maine. They harvest the timber, pay out the cash flow (~6% yield) and it grows right back over time. Renewable resource. Its a good income play with hard assets to back it up to protect vs. inflation. I love these but there aren’t many investable similar assets for retail investors. Trump and Wilbur Ross stuck their heads into this and created a bit of a mess w/ trade protection but this has actually appreciated afterward.

This is has been a good BTFD stock for me. I’m probably closer to selling this than anything right now b/c it is kind of high but upon a sell-off I would accumulate more. This is not big and on some days I think I may be the only volume (in the OTC American markets) so you have to be willing to hold an illiquid asset but sometimes the illiquidity is your friend.

That is interesting – I’m going to look at Acadian Timber later

it actually does look nice. but yea its not something im looking for. i only like company’s with at least adrs in us.

There’s not much going on unless you like Canadian banks, Oil or Mining, especially if you want ADRs. Mind you your USDs go a longer way up here if you were own in CAD but we’re in a down cycle so you may get hit up on FX on the way up (min 2+ years before that happens).

Without knowing what you inv. strategy is, I can generally say that there are the usual blue chips which lumber on (the Royal Banks, the TDs, etc), and the heavily cyclical stuff like oil sands pure plays and gold/metal stocks you buy at the bottom of a cycle and ride the volatility on the way up (if your assumption is it will go up). Most of the latter just go up and down based on oil/gold prices, like any other stock, capital structure comes into play when commodity prices crash but it doesn’t get much more interesting than that. There is a small and growing section in IT (Shopify, CGI, Constellation) but it’s no where as diverse as any US index. There are some really interesting smaller companies out there but they have low liquidity and or family owned. The market is mature, but it isn’t, in the sense that there is a heavy tilt towards the large caps and then a bunch of small caps and nothing in the middle. You kinda have to know what you’re looking for if you’re coming up north.

had no idea shopify was canadian.

i saw this on seeking alpha randomly and thought of your suggestion btw.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3275627-isnt-good-canadian-wood

rofl.