what's a good type of question to ask management on an earnings call to look smart?

clearly it depends on the situation/ quarter/ company etc… but would a good question go in the direction of asking to reconcile some data OR add color on guidance ?

Ask something that demonstrates you actually understand the business and have been paying attention.

read previous transcripts and use previous questions. Haha. But my general favorite questions. What their plans in terms of capital allocation in the future? General feeling of competition, labor relations, and suppliers. M&a outlook. Color on guidance. Where do you see biggest opportunities in terms of growth? Cost cutting initiatives if they have any.

Ask them about their REAL “as reported” earnings, and how they explain the massive gap between those and their fake operating/forecast earnings.

Crickets…

Be like Mike Mayo and essentially ask “why do you guys suck so much”, in multiple creative ways.

That guy cracks me up

Make sure to preface any question with “awesome quarter guys, you really hit it out of the park”

“What would you rather fight: A hundred duck-sized horses, or one horse-sized duck?”

A horse sized duck is basically a dinosaur.

funny part is that people really still use this

great post, you really hit it out of the park.

say something like. I’m trying to work out how you guys get paid… what are your target metrics?

^very nice