Total size of an industry

Hello there, I am fairly new here and I hope I can get an answer to my question here :grin:

So… here my question, I try to formulate it as clearly as possible:

For a calculation I need to know the proportion of a single company to the whole branch. For example I want to know how big AAPL in technology is… So I would take the market cap of AAPL, but for my calculation I still need the total size of that industry.

Can anyone help me with this (where can I get that info and does market cap make sense in this context)

Sincerely

That took about 5 seconds using Google:

https://eresearch.fidelity.com/eresearch/markets_sectors/sectors/sectors_in_market.jhtml

I don’t think you can trust Fidelity since they are a retail shop with their own agenda and thoughts. Do some primary reserach: just get a list of all the companies and divide them into sectors and then add up all of the companieses sizes together for a given industry. Then you will have the size for each industry :+1:

Thank you for the answers!!

I found fidelity before, but as @frankybarnes stated, I didn’t think their numbers were entirely correct. So when I thought about how to find that size of an industry, I would look at all the companies from S&P 500, divide them into groups and then add up their market cap. But… that is exactly what fidelity did, so I will test some of their sizes myself with manual calculation, but if that matches fidelity, I think that they can be trusted.

Thanks again for the responses,

Z-Tode

I’m too lazy for your approach.

find a market cap weighted ETF for the sector… calculate the percentage they use for AAPL. then divide AAPL market cap by its percentage. boom. you have the size of the industry.

Fidelity is probably fine unless you are translating this into some sort of actionable trading strategy.