Worst call you have ever made as an investor

What is the worst investment you have made as a private investor investing your own money? 

It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

See how TagniFi is helping investment professionals streamline their valuation and analysis process in Excel. Sign up for a fee trial today.

Bueller….Bueller…?

…no bad calls for candidates or Charterholders? I guess it must be that the charter guarantees above average investment performance!

It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

Waited on the sidelines for much of 2015-2018 because i thought the valuations were wrong. Now, Im sipping vodka in front of the fire place, but still i think the valuations are wrong. But im in front of a fire place so things cant be too bad 

If you're the first out the door, that's not called panicking

Codtrawler87 wrote:

Waited on the sidelines for much of 2015-2018 because i thought the valuations were wrong. Now, Im sipping vodka in front of the fire place, but still i think the valuations are wrong. But im in front of a fire place so things cant be too bad 

This guy gets it!!! 

My best investment was made unbeknownst to myself when I was born in a rich Western country to well-off and caring parents. 

Today, I’m sitting in the French Alps “worrying” about passing lvl3 cfa exam-> little worry in the big scale!

But my worst investment is the following: 
Not taking enough of risks in my personal life…not in investments, not in education…always choosing the “sure-fire” option was I knew it would lead to secure and comfortable life. 

Not buying Ford at $2.

Not buying Ford at $1.

Shorting Netflix for a few months. Ouch. But I still think they are way overvalued.

GE 2018

#FreeCVM #FreeTurd #2007-2017

I’ve been relatively lucky in my investments post actually learning. I don’t invest outside an index unless I’m very confident and have identified a clear edge. The first investment I made when starting active investing was an energy company. I had learned about the industry and heard all the good things. But I hadn’t yet grasped that the game is an expectations game and not whether it’s a good or bad business. I can’t remember the stock, since it was such a small position. But it may have gone bankrupt after the bottom fell out of energy prices. I am about to make my first hard money loan  and I think there is a high chance that will go poorly. But we will see. And ultimately we will find out if OZK is a great decision or a zero. Bring it on 2019!

Nat gas futures in early 2009….thank goodness everything else killed it. I learned the hard way with commodities.

you basically need to come from a target school pedigree/work at prestigious firm in the US/have a really good connection.

- AF hivemind

Black Swan wrote:

GE 2018

GE March 2009