Factor Investing

Please share your favorite factor and tell us why its your favorite 

See how TagniFi is helping investment professionals streamline their valuation and analysis process in Excel. Sign up for a free trial today.

Momentum, coupled with overconfidence bias.

Just look at Activision’s run from $30 to $70, then back to $40. Or Micron from $27 to $63 back to $30. Macy’s dead-cat bounce from $17 to $40 and then to $25.

Made money on all three of these trades on the way up because of momentum. Lost most of the gains on Micron on the way down (loss aversion I guess).

Momentum is like a self-fulfilling prophecy. When something crosses a critical price point, and enough people see that as a sign and act on it, it snow-balls. People get overconfident, and it creates bubbles.

Tactics wrote:

Momentum, coupled with overconfidence bias.

Just look at Activision’s run from $30 to $70, then back to $40. Or Micron from $27 to $63 back to $30. Macy’s dead-cat bounce from $17 to $40 and then to $25.

Made money on all three of these trades on the way up because of momentum. Lost most of the gains on Micron on the way down (loss aversion I guess).

Momentum is like a self-fulfilling prophecy. When something crosses a critical price point, and enough people see that as a sign and act on it, it snow-balls. People get overconfident, and it creates bubbles.

I couldn’t agree more. Although, I’d rather just visualize a trend, and then follow it.

“What goes up, usually continues to go up” is something I wish more traders believed in. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.